Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So recently I've fainted twice on a bike ride & once on a long hill hike, and I've been getting quite dizzy during exercise. I've also found that I become out of breath easily doing simple things like climbing up the stairs. One of my
    friends suggested that I might have anaemia, so I researched it and I found that I have most of the symptoms.

So I want to try and control my iron intake because missing out on hikes and other outdoor activities sucks, but I'm really not sure how to...how should I do this?

P.S. I'm vegetarian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smidge_midge)
    So recently I've fainted twice on a bike ride & once on a long hill hike, and I've been getting quite dizzy during exercise. I've also found that I become out of breath easily doing simple things like climbing up the stairs. One of my
    friends suggested that I might have anaemia, so I researched it and I found that I have most of the symptoms.

So I want to try and control my iron intake because missing out on hikes and other outdoor activities sucks, but I'm really not sure how to...how should I do this?

P.S. I'm vegetarian
    Youll want to go the doctors in case its something more serious
    If it is anemia they will prescribe you iron tablets

(Original post by BekahMay)
    Youll want to go the doctors in case its something more serious
    If it is anemia they will prescribe you iron tablets
    Thank you, is there anything I can do on my own until then?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers

P.S. I'm vegetarian
    First things first, go to your GP and get a blood test to check it is anemia. Deffinately possible especially since you are vegetarian. Do not change anything in the meantime cos it will affect the results.
    Anemia can be caused by other medical conditions so even if you are sure you have it get the test and talk to your doctor just to make sure there is nothing else behind it.

If you do have anemia treatment will depend on how anemic you are and what is causing it. If you are onl a little anemic you will probably just need to introduce some more iron into your diet like with beans etc. It could be a higher level of anemia in which case they may give you supplements to get you to a better level.
    If your anemia is due to a difficulty absorbing iron rather than just little iron in your diet it may be a little more complex and they will look for why you don't absorb iron well and treat that.

Anemia is usually pretty simple to treat so don't worry about it. Iron rich foods and supplements is probably all you'll need. Good luck, hope it gets sorted quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    First things first, go to your GP and get a blood test to check it is anemia. Deffinately possible especially since you are vegetarian. Do not change anything in the meantime cos it will affect the results.
    Anemia can be caused by other medical conditions so even if you are sure you have it get the test and talk to your doctor just to make sure there is nothing else behind it.

If you do have anemia treatment will depend on how anemic you are and what is causing it. If you are onl a little anemic you will probably just need to introduce some more iron into your diet like with beans etc. It could be a higher level of anemia in which case they may give you supplements to get you to a better level.
    If your anemia is due to a difficulty absorbing iron rather than just little iron in your diet it may be a little more complex and they will look for why you don't absorb iron well and treat that.

Anemia is usually pretty simple to treat so don't worry about it. Iron rich foods and supplements is probably all you'll need. Good luck, hope it gets sorted quickly.
    Thank you I'll make sure to go to the doctor

ReputationRep:

P.S. I'm vegetarian
    Sounds like anaemia but it could also be heart disease so definitely get it checked out.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a vegaterian too I don't consume a large amount of iron in my diet but Holland and barrets sell these radiance supplements which give you all the iron you need their tiny so easily swallowed and not expensive I'd recommend these

ReputationRep:
    Being vegetarian shouldn't make any negative difference to your overall health, it should be improving it!
    Go and get your bloods tested, I'm vegan (vegetarian with no eggs, dairy, or honey) and my bloods have come back perfect.
    Eat more of what's good for you and less of what isn't - it's simple really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You need to take notice of your diet.

Focus on eating:
    • Dark-green leafy vegetables, such as watercress and curly kale
    • Iron-fortified cereals or bread
    • Brown rice
    • Pulses and beans
    • Nuts and seeds
    Best is to visit a Doctor about it to address this issue. You may be put forward to do a blood test before you proceed to get any potential medication.

Hope this helps.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.