Turn on thread page Beta

Can someone please read my Law Personal statement for me? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LLB gets the V)
    Yeah, this is fairly interesting. To come full circle, as it were. I would not say you would be excluded form the legal profession with a Liverpool degree -- certainly regional firms would consider you. It's good to see you got where you wanted to be. Out of curiosity, why didn't you choose a more clinical med-associated degree, like nursing or ODP or paramedical science?
    Yes, Law from Liverpool would have been fine if I'd decided to go down the legal profession route - and it did feel odd declining it on results day. But I knew that I wasn't suited to being a solicitor and it wasn't the career area for me - I was more interested in the analytical nature of the degree than the professions associated with it.

So when I got around to reapplying to uni after my gap-year (of sorts) I was still interested in reading heavy text, analysis and finding (or trying to find) 'the truth' of things. So Philosophy seemed like the best route for an inquiring and scrupulous mind that wasn't interested in a legal carer...plus I knew I liked Philosophy from my A-level RS.

As for why I didn't choose one of those degrees, at the time I had the wrong set of A-levels for anything other than a humanities degree and re-doing 2 years of A-levels seemed like it would take a lifetime as an 18 year old. As for present day, I don't see physio as less clinical to be honest with you - it's pretty hands on, although there is definitely less of the personal care element compared to something like nursing (less bodily fluids than nursing...unless you're a respiratory physio).

I didn't choose those degrees since my main interest is anatomy/physiology - I'm really fascinated by it (plus diagnosing and treating). Physio has all of that. I also wanted something quite theory heavy since I want to feel challenged at uni and I'm interested in lecturing/teaching alongside practice and doing an MSc in future. I also wanted something I could take into private practice or go in a completely different direction with if the NHS goes kaput or I lose interest in the hospital environment. Also, there's just so much variety e.g. community work/fitness industry/locum work/progression in different specializations etc.

Plus, I've been working as a HCA for a while and there are parts of this role that I don't want to have in my long term career - but I would have if I chose certain other healthcare degrees/professions.

Massive reply, sorry...got carried away there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I just cant see how UCAS get to say anyything to the candidate, except this flashed up can you explain?
    Yes its my application and heres the date i wrote it. here are the oriignals and drafts along with the dates.

Ok thanks for clearing that up.
    If you can show me some UCAS rules on self plagarising procedure and sanctions, then that would be a better context.
    You can't self-plagarise, the concept doesn't make sense. How can you appropriate your own work? You already own it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coreling)
    You can't self-plagarise, the concept doesn't make sense. How can you appropriate your own work? You already own it.
    You would think so, but you'd have a really hard time trying to argue that at university level education. You can't re-use your own work e.g. lumping essays or even parts of essays into your dissertation etc. It seems to be a (valid) way of preventing students from cutting corners via loopholes i.e "No Prof, I didn't plagiarize my dissertation - it's all my own work!" (that they copy-pasted in 20 mins!). Seems quite a sensible rule when you see it from another perspective .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    You would think so, but you'd have a really hard time trying to argue that at university level education. You can't re-use your own work e.g. lumping essays or even parts of essays into your dissertation etc. It seems to be a (valid) way of preventing students from cutting corners via loopholes i.e "No Prof, I didn't plagiarize my dissertation - it's all my own work!" (that they copy-pasted in 20 mins!). Seems quite a sensible rule when you see it from another perspective .
    I'd argue that is "re-use" rather than plagiarism as you pointed out. I think its just semantics anyway and I'm getting too caught up in it .

I think you've raised a valid point especially in the context you described, I'm not sure how much it applies here though, as the reasons you raised for a university enforcing a no "re-use" policy don't apply in PS writing.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    They do notify the applicant and they do investigate, but I don't know how much they involve the applicant in that situation

Regardless, it's still better to be safe than sorry.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3712837

It is fine to use your previous PS, altho you should ensure that it is relevant to this course and to your situation now
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1393968

Notwithstanding this is a 2010 post #6

7. Can I use the personal statement I wrote for a previous application again?

Yes, you can use a statement from a previous application provided the original was all your own work. The service removes all matches where the name and date of birth of the applicant are the same, so if the service highlights similarities it will not match with your previous statement but with other sources already in our library.

The point is as long as they are satisfied its original and from you they arent bothered. If its flagged you can prove it to their satisfaction its your work.

Notwithstanding this you are likely to wnat to update your statement, although I imagine paragraphs would stay the same on a subsequent application.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    My point was that its much easier to prove it's your own work if its on their system rather than on a public site. I'm not sure of the procedure for things that are public or match something that someone else has posted and therefore how easy to prove that it is your own work. Therefore it's best to just avoid that situation entirely

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3712837

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1393968

Notwithstanding this is a 2010 post #6

7. Can I use the personal statement I wrote for a previous application again?

Yes, you can use a statement from a previous application provided the original was all your own work. The service removes all matches where the name and date of birth of the applicant are the same, so if the service highlights similarities it will not match with your previous statement but with other sources already in our library.

The point is as long as they are satisfied its original and from you they arent bothered. If its flagged you can prove it to their satisfaction its your work.

Notwithstanding this you are likely to wnat to update your statement, although I imagine paragraphs would stay the same on a subsequent application.

ReputationRep:
    Think its easy to prove it orginated from you, especially in the context of the OP and her circumstances.
    Why don't you think this through somewhat? The last thing anyone applying now needs, with the exam season approaching fast, is an investigation by UCAS and universities looking askance at their integrity, using up both time and nervous energy.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Why don't you think this through somewhat? The last thing anyone applying now needs, with the exam season approaching fast, is an investigation by UCAS and universities looking askance at their integrity, using up both time and nervous energy.
    If you read the thread that issue was dealt with and the situation moved on to self plaigarism, which was soemthing i'd never heard about and seems to apply if you are publishing scientific papers in the US in your PS. If you use some common sense there were plenty of ways the OP could have tapped into assistance and the information she needed. Think ill just agree tio differ, but if you want to carry it on I refer you back to the beginning of the thread.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    None of those examples would apply to a ps for UCAS. That guidance is for the US and for the punlication of scientific papers.

Do you have some guidance on UCAS ps self plaigarism? ironically if you are reapplying then that fact would indicate your ps was unsuccessful in the first place, so there would be limited incentive to reuse.
    See https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/f...cant-guide.pdf

What happens if a personal statement has similarities?
    • Any statements showing a level of similarity of 10% or more are reviewed by members of the UCAS Similarity Detection Service Team.
    • Applicants, universities and colleges are notified at the same time by email when an application has similarities confirmed.
    In the OPs case IF someone posted their PS (or even just 2 sentences of their PS - the limit for triggering copycatch) online then it would trigger an investigation and because the websource cannot be attributed to the OP by UCAS using the information online the applicant and the universities would be notified and sent the copycatch report. The OP *could* try to prove that their PS had been posted online without their consent - with sufficient evidence that might excuse them from the accusation of plagiarism but at the same time would demonstrate to universities a level of naivety that wont impress.

TSR used to have a free review service. We validated the helper's university status using IP addresses and ac.uk email addresses and then helpers were TRAINED in reviewing PSs using advice and guidance from admissions staff (and not the hearsay advice that many teachers and most students provide). https://www.tes.com/news/school-news...-ucas-personal most teachers give out terrible PS advice

A couple of years ago TSRG scrapped this free service and replaced it with a paid service staffed by teachers at a school local to the TSRG offices. The PS helpers helped design the free onsite PS builder which guides applicants through creating a PS and offers automated feedback. At that point even trained helpers were banned from reviewing using TSR - there's therefore very little appetite to encourage unverified and untrained reviewers onsite. Unfortunately no matter how confident you are in your abilities and trustworthiness you're
    a) competing with a paid service provided by the site owners
    b) not able to prove this
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    1. The idea of self plaigarism was mooted and it doesnt apply. Thanks for posting the link but ive already read the guide.
    2. There are ways that people can assist with a PS without having to read or transfer the original.
    3. Any statement from the OP would have been updated anyway.

I didnt realise I was competing and if you bother to read the thread then you will see I withdrew my offer as soon as i was notifed there was a rule prohibiting providing such assistance. But spin it whatever way you want.

Just because someone is paid doesnt mean they are the best or that other people cant make a contribution. Anyway thanks for the input
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Yeah, top 10 RG law students' words are less convincing than the words of a schoolteacher who attended the University of Kent. OK there, buddie. Makes sense.
    Did you read what I said.

Neither teachers OR students generally have a good understanding of what makes a good PS. A student might not be in a position to directly plagiarise but being made offers to a "good" university doesn't mean your own PS was any good or that you have any particular insight into what admissions staff are looking for. You only need to look at the PS library to find mediocre (and often just bad) PSs that have been accepted by the best universities - because no university makes admissions decisions based JUST on a PS an offer (or otherwise) very rarely reflects the quality of an applicant's PS.

ReputationRep:
    I think writing my own successful PS is experience, no?
    You've seen what worked for you, some of which may be applicable to others. But teachers have helped many students and have seen both what works and what doesn't.

Also how can you assume every aspect of your personal statement was flawless and something that could be included in anyone else's PS? I am sure there were improvements that would have made the admissions committee look at it even more favourably. But you can't pick that out because you aren't the committee. Teachers on the other hand have seen a much wider spectrum of personal statements and are therefore much better judges of good and bad aspects of statements. This means they're more likely to know if something will work well or won't. I am not saying teachers will help to write a flawless PS, but they will offer much better advice based on experience than a student who wrote one PS.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    1. The idea of self plaigarism was mooted and it doesnt apply. Thanks for posting the link but ive already read the guide.
    2. There are ways that people can assist with a PS without having to read or transfer the original.
    3. Any statement from the OP would have been updated anyway.

I didnt realise I was competing and if you bother to read the thread then you will see I withdrew my offer as soon as i was notifed there was a rule prohibiting providing such assistance. But spin it whatever way you want.

Just because someone is paid doesnt mean they are the best or that other people cant make a contribution. Anyway thanks for the input
    I'm as pissed off about TSRGs paid service as anyone.

The free PS reviews was something truly unique to TSR and was something that helped hundreds of applicants and the fact that it was scrapped in order to employ a bunch of teachers (that we've still never had any feedback on the quality or quantity of the reviews they've provided) was a betrayal of everyone who joined TSR in order to help other students.

A few years ago we would have been able to encourage you to apply to become a helper and you could have helped as many people as you were able to (while also offering some protection and assurance to applicants that they were getting help from someone who knew what they were talking about with minimal risks associated).

A lot of us who were PS helpers are still angry about the decision and the fact that we were banned from the site owners from continuing to offer a free service on the site. At the same time we've been put in a position of policing that rule (that we disagree with) among other users like yourself.

So yeah - the situation sucks, the whole point of this forum, the PS builder, the PS library, the reviewed PSs in the library is to offer the support you're talking about in point 2. These resources were linked to and referred to in *Interrobang*s sig but unfortunately by the time those resources got brought in there were already a bunch of users offering to help the OP out by PM and so the thread got sidetracked into discussions around the risk of being flagged by UCAS plagiarism tool (whether or not it meets the strict definition of plagiarism and could be argued against) and trying to explain the TSR rules around this to a new generation of applicants...and you seemed to get the brunt of this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    X
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    Well, that escalated fast.

ReputationRep:
    Don't send you PS to anyone over the internet - there is no guarantee that it won't be plagiarised, and plagiarism is very real. Once you've sent it to someone, you have no control over it
    I agree with this wise lady.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Antagonistic)
    Well, that escalated fast.
    appropriate username :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    As I explained - if you were joining the old TSR review service as a helper you would have been mentored and your first 5 reviews would have been checked by someone with more experience.

Go and find 5 PSs in the library and send me your reviews of them and I'll tell you whether you're qualified or not.
    Your point was that I have no evidence to show that I had a quality PS unless I could show I was assessed solely on my PS. I was assessed solely on my PS. So I can tell people I am qualified?

I would send you a review of 5 of those, but it's classic ad populum. Just because 15 lads and lassies, who are likely without meaningful gainful employment, think X does not mean X is true.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Honestly I dont know. I did learn about slef plaigarising and considering my background then Im always interested in rules, details and the limits of those rules.

I have learnt about the extent of plaigarising. Its ok I can live without delaing with peoples ps's it was just her subject and angle that was interesting.

I respect the rules as its yours or their forum, but imo its acceptable to question aspects of them. Its not anything i will lose sleep over. I guess ps's are big business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    appropriate username :rofl:
    Haha I know right.

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.