Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Text_Box)
    Yes I agree - Why on earth do they respect it?!

Funny thing is, my teacher came out with "I know the AS seems quite hard with lots to take in, but believe me, A2 is comparatively straightforward - You just use these tools and go a bit further, but it's probably easier than AS."

Ehhh?!
    A-Level Economics can be taught in 1 year really, from looking at the A2 course, it just seems to be applying your AS knowledge to more complex issues. As A-Levels go, it's an easy one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    A-Level Economics can be taught in 1 year really, from looking at the A2 course, it just seems to be applying your AS knowledge to more complex issues. As A-Levels go, it's an easy one.
    Yes I completely agree.

Most annoying thing is that I'm having timetabling problems for A2, and I'm told "You may need to teach yourself some maths, but you're not allwoed to teach yourself Economics and sit the exams."

It seems that some have a false impression that it's tricky or something, probably because it is at uni?!

ReputationRep:
    It's weird, I can see all these different letters in your posts, but all I read is "You need Maths for Eco, you need Maths for Eco, you need Maths for Eco"

*sulks about Baz abusing Oriel*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    It's weird, I can see all these different letters in your posts, but all I read is "You need Maths for Eco, you need Maths for Eco, you need Maths for Eco"

*sulks about Baz abusing Oriel*
    You're not even going to Oriel...

And maths is very helpful for Economics; the amount of bandwidth that is wasted though people asking a seemigly obvious question.

ReputationRep:

And maths is very helpful for Economics; the amount of bandwidth that is wasted though people asking a seemigly obvious question.
    Pah, ignore me. I iz being wel stoopid like over this.

ReputationRep:

That's partly the fault of the exam boards IMO, people do Econ A-Level and there is barely any maths involved, so they get the impression that maths isn't important for econ at uni.

e.g.) Ellie4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    you're meant to be a role model of sorts.
    You've lost it...

ReputationRep:
    That's partly the fault of the exam boards IMO, people do Econ A-Level and there is barely any maths involved, so they get the impression that maths isn't important for econ at uni.

e.g.) Ellie4
    Yeah, I agree. But they can't put A-Level Maths in A-Level Economics due to technical reasons, so they need to limit the complexity of the content.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I agree. But they can't put A-Level Maths in A-Level Economics due to technical reasons, so they need to limit the complexity of the content.
    Well obviously they couldn't put A-Level Maths in A-Level Econ because many don't take Maths A-Level.

IMO, they should extend the syllabus and include more maths and more topics - As you said, it could be comfortably done in a year.

Even if the Maths isn't that hard, least it's more similar to the degree. I mean, i could see how people who like Econ A-Level (essays, writing etc) may dislike the Uni course when its so mathematical - Even if they did A-Level Maths.

ReputationRep:
    Loving the sig, Baz. It looks very fetching
    That should cut server traffic in half.

ReputationRep:
    What about Further Maths?

ReputationRep:
    Hearing Meg discuss how wonderful it is that she got you to change your sing will more than make up for it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    Hearing Meg discuss how wonderful it is that she got you to change your sing will more than make up for it...
    I didn't really have a sig to start with. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hey, at least I didn't just oogle over the MSN emoticons "oooh, look at this bat! Look how it flaps its wings!"

Meh. I don't believe you have an AAB offer. :rolleyes:
    *Carries out "You're just jealous" dance*

ReputationRep:

e.g.) Ellie4
    And that's why poor old Ellie4 is teaching herself AS maths in 2 months. Hmph. It's my school's fault, they told me I didn't need maths to do Economics, only if I wanted to do it at Cambridge, and that everyone else wouldn't mind. Idiots

ReputationRep:
    H&E, in other news, I picked up Historians on History today. I'm looking forward to it. Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tonight Matthew)
    H&E, in other news, I picked up Historians on History today. I'm looking forward to it. Thanks again.
    No problem. I'll repeat my advice of reading selected chapters; cover to cover is not an advisable method with such books.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    And that's why poor old Ellie4 is teaching herself AS maths in 2 months. Hmph. It's my school's fault, they told me I didn't need maths to do Economics, only if I wanted to do it at Cambridge, and that everyone else wouldn't mind. Idiots
    BTW: I wasn't criticizing you, just that you stood out as an example of someone wanting to do economics at uni without maths!

Yes I agree, schools are terrible at giving advice!

But don't worry, you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    No problem. I'll repeat my advice of reading selected chapters; cover to cover is not an advisable method with such books.
    So in an interview, they don't randomly ask you questions on topics, they ask you what you have read and then they head into a discussion about it?

ReputationRep:
    BTW: I wasn't criticizing you, just that you stood out as an example of someone wanting to do economics at uni without maths!

Yes I agree, schools are terrible at giving advice!

But don't worry, you'll be fine!
    Oh I know, I didn't take it in that way I just wish my school had given me better advice at the time.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.