Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    im really struggling qith this problem question. can anyone help me?? just need some real help find property law so hard

Your client Andrew wishes to make a will. He has given you the following draft bequests. Advise him about them: 1. “£20,000 to Henry and Grace on trust for my darling Bertie (his pet dog) to see that he spends the rest of his days in comfort.” 2. “£10,000 to Sabrina and Sebastian on trust to keep my grave neat and tidy and the headstone in good repair.” 3. “The residue of my estate on trust and used for the purposes of proving that dogs are more intelligent than cats.”

Advise on the effect and legal validity of these bequests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doriscikaj)
    im really struggling qith this problem question. can anyone help me?? just need some real help find property law so hard

Your client Andrew wishes to make a will. He has given you the following draft bequests. Advise him about them: 1. “£20,000 to Henry and Grace on trust for my darling Bertie (his pet dog) to see that he spends the rest of his days in comfort.” 2. “£10,000 to Sabrina and Sebastian on trust to keep my grave neat and tidy and the headstone in good repair.” 3. “The residue of my estate on trust and used for the purposes of proving that dogs are more intelligent than cats.”

Advise on the effect and legal validity of these bequests.
    1. Non - charitable purpose trust - bequest in those terms is invalid. Could alter it to s gift to H & G beneficially, on condition that they agree to house dog & with a non legally binding request that they spend the money on the dog
    2. Gift for maintenance of a grave is the exception to the "non -charitable purpose trusts are invalid" rule - so bequest is fine
    3. Is trying to be a charitable bequest for educational purposes. Whether it's successful/valid depends if the purpose is considered sufficiently educational. There's case law on what is considered to be sufficiently important. If not sufficiently educational , you're back to a non-charitable purpose trust i.e. bequest would be invalid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by szo)
    1. Non - charitable purpose trust - bequest in those terms is invalid. Could alter it to s gift to H & G beneficially, on condition that they agree to house dog & with a non legally binding request that they spend the money on the dog
    2. Gift for maintenance of a grave is the exception to the "non -charitable purpose trusts are invalid" rule - so bequest is fine
    3. Is trying to be a charitable bequest for educational purposes. Whether it's successful/valid depends if the purpose is considered sufficiently educational. There's case law on what is considered to be sufficiently important. If not sufficiently educational , you're back to a non-charitable purpose trust i.e. bequest would be invalid

thank you, i was wondering when i apply the three certainties im really stuck on the third element on the first bequest about the dog, can u help?

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.