Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm only doing 3 ASs this year and 4 A-levels will not doing 4 impact my application negatively. I'm applying for medicine and I'm not doing a chemistry AS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon17)
    I'm only doing 3 ASs this year and 4 A-levels will not doing 4 impact my application negatively. I'm applying for medicine and I'm not doing a chemistry AS
    4 AS levels won't impact you anywhere near as much as not doing chemistry AS.

Chemistry is the most important A-level for medicine, either you'll have to go through a foundation year, do the whole A-level next year or find a uni where you don't need chemistry. I think it's Newcastle who do not require it, however I'm pretty sure most will still have it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)

Chemistry is the most important A-level for medicine, either you'll have to go through a foundation year, do the whole A-level next year or find a uni where you don't need chemistry. I think it's Newcastle who do not require it, however I'm pretty sure most will still have it.
    I'm doing chemistry as a linear A-level if that wasn't clear

ReputationRep:

Basically I'm currently doing
    AS biology
    AS physics
    AS maths
    and
    A level biology, chemistry, physics and maths will not having a chemistry as level impact my chances?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing chemistry as a linear A-level if that wasn't clear
    Basically I'm currently doing
    AS biology
    AS physics
    AS maths
    and
    A level biology, chemistry, physics and maths will not having a chemistry as level impact my chances?
    So you're just not doing the AS exams? If so it'll be fine, others won't be.

ReputationRep:
    So you're just not doing the AS exams? If so it'll be fine, others won't be.
    Would it be better to have an AS grade though?

ReputationRep:
    Would it be better to have an AS grade though?
    I mean it will give a good indication, but it won't impact your application if your school didn't enter you in for the exams.

Your school will probably do a mock exam instead and use that to form a predicted grade.

ReputationRep:
    I mean it will give a good indication, but it won't impact your application if your school didn't enter you in for the exams.

Your school will probably do a mock exam instead and use that to form a predicted grade.
    Alright thanks

ReputationRep:
    I worry a little about the lack of punctuation in your question. Do make sure your PS shows full attention to it.

You need to make sure your school reference states that you did not have the option of entering Chemistry AS. You don't want a University thinking it is a weaker subject and that you have chosen not to declare a poor result.

There will be some applicants with no AS results this year. If you have three good ones it will be fine.

ReputationRep:

Apparently for 2016 applications, we're not allowed to disclose our AS grades to the unis, only our A-level predictions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by champ_mc99)
    Apparently for 2016 applications, we're not allowed to disclose our AS grades to the unis, only our A-level predictions.
    That's not true, I don't know where you got that from.

For Cambridge you give your AS UMS for any old AS subjects, the grades you got for any new AS subjects you did and your predicted grades.

Other unis will just ask for any AS grades you have and your predicted grades.

ReputationRep:
    That's not true, I don't know where you got that from.

For Cambridge you give your AS UMS for any old AS subjects, the grades you got for any new AS subjects you did and your predicted grades.

Other unis will just ask for any AS grades you have and your predicted grades.
    Heard it from an exam officer. It's most likely because they're going to be biased towards people who have done their AS exams as they have better proof of their potential to get good grades at A2 over those who won't do any AS exams. Also, my teacher said, Cambridge will undertake those multi mini interview tests (or something like that). These tests are being used already by Oxford I think and a few other unis already.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Heard it from an exam officer. It's most likely because they're going to be biased towards people who have done their AS exams as they have better proof of their potential to get good grades at A2 over those who won't do any AS exams. Also, my teacher said, Cambridge will undertake those multi mini interview tests (or something like that). These tests are being used already by Oxford I think and a few other unis already.
    No. You might not declare your raw marks (this is still to be decided by Cambridge) but you will certainly declare your AS grades. It's a UCAS requirement to give all exam grades achieved.

More info about the admissions assessments is here:
    http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...ns-assessments

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colmans)
    I worry a little about the lack of punctuation in your question. Do make sure your PS shows full attention to it.

You need to make sure your school reference states that you did not have the option of entering Chemistry AS. You don't want a University thinking it is a weaker subject and that you have chosen not to declare a poor result.

There will be some applicants with no AS results this year. If you have three good ones it will be fine.
    I worry that you are concerned with someones punctuation on an online casual student forum. Please get a life.

ReputationRep:
    I worry that you are concerned with someones punctuation on an online casual student forum. Please get a life.
    I'm not sure if English is your first language?

You may have misunderstood that I was trying to say that a high standard of English is essential to success in getting an offer at Cambridge. Every bit as important, especially for an international student, as a fourth AS grade.

If someone is asking for advice as to how they should maximise their chances then it can be helpful for us to consider all the information they give us.

So it was a worry-meaning a potential problem. None of us are perfect and mobile TSR doesn't help. If you are English and lack of punctuation doesn't bother you then good luck, but as a Cambridge Grad poor punctuation bothers me. I'm not sure being rude to people who are trying to help you is helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colmans)
    I'm not sure if English is your first language?

You may have misunderstood that I was trying to say that a high standard of English is essential to success in getting an offer at Cambridge. Every bit as important, especially for an international student, as a fourth AS grade.

If someone is asking for advice as to how they should maximise their chances then it can be helpful for us to consider all the information they give us.

So it was a worry-meaning a potential problem. None of us are perfect and mobile TSR doesn't help. If you are English and lack of punctuation doesn't bother you then good luck, but as a Cambridge Grad poor punctuation bothers me. I'm not sure being rude to people who are trying to help you is helpful.
    lol idk if troll or drunk?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.