The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Prestige of the Economics Department

Hello!

I've received an offer for Policy, Politics and Economics a few months ago and I have to say that my main interest would be Economics, not least because the employment opportunities of economists are significantly better overall. My main academic interest would also be Economics, although mostly heterodox economics and various schools of thought.

With that in mind, I was wondering if I could get any opinions on people's ideas of Birmingham's economics department prestige, and on whether employers would rather go for an economics grad or a PPE grad with most of his modules being economics-related with an economics thesis. I suppose that as long as I show interest and knowledge in economics they wouldn't care what the title of my degree is.. right?

Another thing holding me back would be the rather low entry requirements for PPE (AAB; no further requirements) as opposed to Economics Bsc (AAA) or Econ and Gegraphy (AAA, GCSE Maths A, no General Studies). It's rather clear that PPE is one of the easiest to get into. Should that be something to concern me?

For some reason, the economics department includes PPE as one of its courses, while PPE does not include the Economics department but includes the Business department. To complicate it further still, the Business department seems to include the Economics department v.v

But yeah, I'd appreciate any replies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending