Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there really sexism against women in the selecting of candidates to stand as MPs? Watch

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people are claiming that there is systematic discrimination and latent bias in the selection committees discriminating, what I find worrying about such claims is that I have never seen them supported by evidence and if such discrimination were occurring it would clearly be in breach of the Sex and Discrimination Act 1975.The Government changed certain parts that act to make discrimination against men legal in the selection process with methods such as all women shortlists so if we do find such latent discrimination it better be bigger than this discrimination or we are overrepresented by women.

I provide you with evidence of discrimination against men in politics.That article does note that the ratio of men:women applying for the Conservative political party was 3:1.

I would expect a higher number of men in political roles due to the power and social dominance such roles bring testosterone has been shown to increase the need for social dominance and men have much more testosterone than women.Its nice to think that most MPs are there because they want to help people but really most of them want the power and control, someone I know has said that he has joined Labour because he wants the power and said I should too because I won't get power in the Greens.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8314322.stm

"And Miss Widdecombe told the BBC: "I think it's very bad for women because I believe that every woman in Parliament should be able to look every man in Parliament, from the prime minister downwards, in the eye and to know she got there on exactly the same basis."
    "If she can't do that she's a second class citizen," she said.
    She said parties should do more to encourage more women to apply in the first place as in her experience, far more men tended to apply which meant "it is not surprising the "statistical fallout" was that there were more male MPs."

I agree with Ann Widdecombe here that less women MPs is mainly due to less applying and if there is bias in the selection committees this should be fought rather than being sexist against men to make up for it.

ReputationRep:
    Read a quote a while back from, I think, Sandi Toksvig that relates to this.

It comes down to confidence.
    Women, when faced with a role / promotion / new position that tests them and their abilities or stretches them they're more likely to shy away or be unsure of themselves, or suggest that someone else might be better equipped.

Men might be more inclined to say sod it and give it a go, regardless of whether they're actually capable of it.

You could also call it stubbornness, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Read a quote a while back from, I think, Sandi Toksvig that relates to this.

It comes down to confidence.
    Women, when faced with a role / promotion / new position that tests them and their abilities or stretches them they're more likely to shy away or be unsure of themselves, or suggest that someone else might be better equipped.

Men might be more inclined to say sod it and give it a go, regardless of whether they're actually capable of it.

You could also call it stubbornness, I guess.
    This is because men are more competitive than women in general and want to be the best, this does relate to men wanting to be more social dominant than women.The reasons for this stem from nature and evolution too the most competitive socially dominant males would have had access to the females.I believe evolutionary reasons are the most strongest influence on human psychology evolution doesn't act on short time lengths like tens of thousands of years since human mainly lived like animals in nature.

ReputationRep:
    Woah that's a lot of neg rep!

ReputationRep:
    On the contrary it seems there are endless amounts of utterly useless fat, obnoxious and entirely ignorant female MPs sitting around under labour purely because of the fact that they're women. They only get in because labour elects them in the safest seats they have...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    This is because men are more competitive than women in general and want to be the best, this does relate to men wanting to be more social dominant than women.The reasons for this stem from nature and evolution too the most competitive socially dominant males would have had access to the females.I believe evolutionary reasons are the most strongest influence on human psychology evolution doesn't act on short time lengths like tens of thousands of years since human mainly lived like animals in nature.
    I think that's part of it, but I think there's also an element of risk aversion to some women that isn't present in some men.

That kind of thing shows it itself in more than just politics and the boardroom, it's evident in adventure or extreme sports.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    He is like Hitler.

ReputationRep:
    But in most fields men prove themselves to be more capable than women. Why shouldnt men be picked over women?

ReputationRep:
    Labour has all female selection lists which is disgusting it's discrimination because you don't have a vagina

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.