Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Has anyone here got considered as 'Home Student' despite living overseas over 3 yrs? watch

So I'm a Brit, born and raised in London, & has lived overseas over 3 years cos my father found a better job in the Middle East.
    • We own a house/property in the UK, so we still do pay tax.
    • My father's job isn't permanent because his contract gets renewed every year.
    I've contacted many universities about my situation but they told me that they'd answer my question once I've applied.

I'll be applying next year, so I was wondering if anyone here was in the same position as me and were considered as home student.

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who's lived outside of the U.K for most of his life yet he's considered a home student because his family have property here or something along those lines.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by goodwinning)
    I know someone who's lived outside of the U.K for most of his life yet he's considered a home student because his family have property here or something along those lines.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh really, was that now or long ago?
    What course/uni did he apply to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorable98)
    Oh really, was that now or long ago?
    What course/uni did he apply to?
    He just started this year at Birmingham.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have a British passport and I lived outside the UK and EU and was classed as an international student. I had to live in the UK for three years before I was classed as a home student so I could apply to student finance.

ReputationRep:
    You are, to be honest, a tricky case, and you may find that some unis consider you a home student and others an international.

UKCISA is a really useful resource for this sort of thing.

Is your dad on secondment working for a British company, or is he working for a middle eastern company?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You may find that some universities will consider you a home student for fees (particularly less popular courses where places may go empty) but that you won't get Student Finance as this is government money provided by current resident tax payers. Your family would therefore have to find funding for your course.

You say your father has a house here and pays tax? do you mean council tax because it seem unlikely that he pays UK income tax, & if he works in the Middle East, does he pay any income tax?

Student Finance is for those permanently resident in this country and not those that return for the purposes of study I am afraid.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.