Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

First of all, I wonder how many mature students are there on here? If you are currently one or thinking of going to university, do you worry about things like not making any money for a few years? Since people over the age of 21 are usually employed and have their career/goals set.

I turned 26 less then 2 weeks ago. I'm single with no children. I've been working for Royal Mail, which I enjoy in an inexplicable way. But I feel like working for them for the rest of my biological clock wouldn't leave me fully satisfied. I had a life changing kidney transplant last year, which allowed me to live a life not being stuck to a machine 3 times a week, for 4 hours each time. The catch with living as a post transplant patient is the immunosuppressant medication I have to take everyday. It weakens my immune system so I'm more likely to get sick than most people. Also have a longer recovery time. Since the transplant, I've developed traits and interests I've never had before.

While working for Royal Mail, I've been redoing some GCSEs' at a college in my local area as well. I've been planning to do 4 AS courses after this summer and cut down my working hours as well. The 4 are: Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry. Now I wouldn't be able to go to university until I'm 28, since A level is generally 2 years long. I feel like I'm too old then and not too sure how universities generally take on mature students for an undergraduate degree.

What I plan to do at university:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Medicine.

I'm a mature student I study with the university of Oxford I too have had ill health. I do worry about work and my career but hey medicine is a good career in itself. Lots of people go into education later in life. Go for it if you think you will enjoy medicine then you should do it. You're not too old there's a guy at Cambridge who is in his 60s doing business at degree level. Enjoy your freedom and follow your dreams.

ReputationRep:
    I've got a place for nursing this year. I'm 31.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.