The Student Room Group

Should you change degrees if you are struggling?

I am on a law degree, first year, and it is safe to say I am struggling. I obtained a 55 (mid 2:2) average after my first semester results, which I know is a pass but I literally only scraped 40 in a core module, even though I thought it had gone well. I in fact failed (35) the main piece of coursework and my grade was boosted only by group work.

Second term I am struggling even more. I have had various mental health problems which have been exacerbated by me struggling, which in turn has exacerbated my struggling, if that make sense. It's a vicious cycle.

I achieved good a-level results and I am at a good Russell Group university. I have already spoken to the course which I am looking to change to and they have said they would be more than happy to take me.

The course I am looking to change to is French and Russian, as I've always been good at languages and I do have a genuine interest in both the French and Russian culture.

I have told a few people my plans and people have mixed responses. Some say I should do whatever makes me happy and that I could still have a good career with a languages degree, and others tell me to keep at the law degree.

I of course understand the financial implications .
I don't know what to do :/
Original post by lachachacha
I am on a law degree, first year, and it is safe to say I am struggling. I obtained a 55 (mid 2:2) average after my first semester results, which I know is a pass but I literally only scraped 40 in a core module, even though I thought it had gone well. I in fact failed (35) the main piece of coursework and my grade was boosted only by group work.

Second term I am struggling even more. I have had various mental health problems which have been exacerbated by me struggling, which in turn has exacerbated my struggling, if that make sense. It's a vicious cycle.

I achieved good a-level results and I am at a good Russell Group university. I have already spoken to the course which I am looking to change to and they have said they would be more than happy to take me.

The course I am looking to change to is French and Russian, as I've always been good at languages and I do have a genuine interest in both the French and Russian culture.

I have told a few people my plans and people have mixed responses. Some say I should do whatever makes me happy and that I could still have a good career with a languages degree, and others tell me to keep at the law degree.

I might be an old codger now, but your first year doesn't count does it? Is it worth seeing out this year and reassessing?

It's better to have a law degree, but if you really aren't motivated then you won't achieve the grades you want.

Bear in mind that employers will ask you about your degree change and what the circumstances were around that.

I would advise you stick it out if it's a three year course and take a year out for work if that option is open to you. It'll be a break from the studying and you can get back to it fresh for your final year.
If you'e struggling in your first year of law then there is no logical reason to suspect you'll do any better as you advance into your degree as it gets a lot harder unless you change something that can be changed. For example if you're approaching the work wrong, not understanding feedback or not studying the correct stuff. But if non of that helps then I'm afraid it's unlikely you'll do well in the law degree, it's possible it's just not the right degree for you.

However think carefully before you just jump into another degree (if you decide not to finish the law one). You'll have used up your grace year with this first year in law and as such it will be your last chance to start a new degree fully funded. Don't make any rash decisions on a whim that you "think" you'll enjoy it, have an end game don't just coast through it.

sincerely, from a student who thoroughly regrets their entire degree but it's too late to change.
(edited 8 years ago)
A good class language degree is better than a disappointing class law degree. And enjoying your degree is important in terms of your mental health and managing to complete the course. If I were you I'd make the switch, but in the end only you can decide.
Original post by mscaffrey
A good class language degree is better than a disappointing class law degree. And enjoying your degree is important in terms of your mental health and managing to complete the course. If I were you I'd make the switch, but in the end only you can decide.

I agree with this.

You don't need a law degree to become a lawyer, you always have the option of doing the GDL (graduate diploma in law) after your degree if that's what you really want. You'd rather have a 1st class in a subject you enjoy, and you'll probably have a slight competitive edge (assuming everything else is equal, contacts etc.) over those who just have a law degree.
Reply 5

Does your first year count a lot?
Reply 6
I think you should change.
Financially you'll be fine as still covered by the 'spare' student loan year.

TBH, Law will only get harder, and if you can't even get a decent 2.2-2.1, it will be difficult to change. Even doing very little work, most people, myself included, managed to do well. It's worth trying to figure out *why* you're struggling, so that you don't have the same problems.
For instance, could you ask the Russian/French dept to give you some work examples for you to do for them to check?

Law is a better degree by far, but not if you can't get along with it enough to get the grade. Best to change whilst you have funding available.
If you arent enjoying it and if you are struggling, then yes ditch it. Grade and enjoyment is whats importan
You cna always resume a law career later if you wish.

I think people are overstating the value of a law degree tbh. Language degrees are also extremely handy. It depends what you envisage doing as a career.
Original post by 999tigger
If you arent enjoying it and if you are struggling, then yes ditch it. Grade and enjoyment is whats importan
You cna always resume a law career later if you wish.

I think people are overstating the value of a law degree tbh. Language degrees are also extremely handy. It depends what you envisage doing as a career.

If I transferred I would train to become a translator
If I transferred I would train to become a translator

What i meant is if you get a good degree then you can always return to law . You could even take the exams for a legal translator and set up your own business

Quick Reply

Latest