Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by similarBlank)
    I've heard people take TVs. How?
    All of mine fit in the car boot.

ReputationRep:
    The people who take big things generally have access to a car. I had to travel down on the train so if it couldn't fit into my two suitcases it didn't go with me. It was a nightmare taking those suitcases on the train, even travelling with people. I don't recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people drive to university with their parents - so they put all their stuff in the car.

ReputationRep:
    If you are ordering new big stuff for uni and it is not needed urgently, you could buy it when you get there and have it delivered.

ReputationRep:
    Speaking of which how would you take your stuff to uni? My parents don't drive?

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people have parents or other family members/ close friends/ partners who can drive them to university.

I personally had to take the train, whatever couldn't fit in 2 suitcases and a duffel bag didn't go with me. And honestly I don't miss any of the tat from back home and a TV would have been pointless for me, I just us my laptop anyway for watching stuff and I don't game.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    Speaking of which how would you take your stuff to uni? My parents don't drive?
    Get decent suitcases and someone could go on the train with you? Apart from clothes and a laptop, it's likely you either don't need it or you can buy it when you get to uni.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Own car, parents car,friends car. If you dont have that option, then man with a van, if thats not an option then you are limited to what you can acrry. You cna accumulate things at uni and put it into storage over summer.

ReputationRep:
    That's another good point, do you have to take all your stuff out when you break up for each break? Like half term and whatever?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    That's another good point, do you have to take all your stuff out when you break up for each break? Like half term and whatever?
    If it's hall then it depends on the uni, but they often let rooms out to summer students, so yes its put into storage. they normally have a store room.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the uni and the particular halls. Most places allow you to keep your stuff over the holidays. They'll say on the website if it's otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the accommodation contract, most unis wont require that you move out over half terms (reading weeks). The time that will be difficult is over summer, you'll probably need to bring everything back, or put it in storage. But you might be lucky and have an overlap in housing contracts, in which case you could just move your stuff in (but it is unlikely)

ReputationRep:
    After your first year you have to move out anyway, I thought? Into private housing or something?

ReputationRep:
    After your first year you have to move out anyway, I thought? Into private housing or something?
    It depends on your uni/accommodation.

Some allow you stay in accommodation after 1st year and some also let you stay over summer (for extra cost) so you don't have to move out at all. But it varies a lot. The ones who let you stay after 1st year tend to universities that have more accommodation that they need, ones with little space generally don;t allow it.

If you go into private housing (so house shares) generally you will find most contracts start over the summer (june/july time) and most last 12 months. Though some contract will start in august/september.

As for private accommodations similar to halls but not run or endorsed by universities, I have 0 experience with them.

ReputationRep:
    I got a people carrier taxi. It cost me about £100

ReputationRep:
    I agree with this method, what are you taking with you? I was going to hire a van out, as I was planning on bringing my chair, all my computer stuff and whatnot, so I need a bit of space, it unfortunately wouldn't all fit in my car

ReputationRep:
    depends on the accomodation

in university accomodation there are often a variety of lengths of contract ,

The shorter contracts on the nicer accomodation usually means clearing your room completely at Christmas and Easter to allow it top be used for conferences etc ( there may be storage provided but it will be prioritised for those with most need)

Other contract lengths give the the right to keep the room all the time, although some accomodation may close / be on skeleton services between christmas and new year

Other accomodation usually self catering and reghardless of who owns it allows you to stay in residence from the date you pick up the keys to the date you hand the keys back (

ReputationRep:
    depends on accomodation stocks

also with the growth of private student accomodation, the traditional student house is increasingly less popular ...

ReputationRep:
    As people said, a lot of people have parents drive them down. Don't worry if you can only take a couple of cases though on the train etc as students rooms are usually small and without much storage space, unless you have some sort of hobby which requires a lot of stuff you'll just end up taking way more than you will ever use! You can always bring extra stuff back with you at christmas etc if you decide you've missed something vital. You certainly don't need a TV, then you just have to pay for a TV license, you can watch anything you wanna see online.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.