Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by toronto353)
    That'd be wiki support team powers instead which is a simple case of adding the deputy chairman to the usergroup.
    Yeah but that's even less needed than the CA thing.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    CA powers don't allow you to edit wikis and I don't think they would need to do that anyway. And given that they'd only act when both the Speaker and Chairman were indisposed I'm not sure they'd need CA powers. I'll speak to the mods though.
    Ohhh, I hadn't noticed the wiki support team exists.

I should make it clear that I do appreciate what you are doing but (I'm sorry I'm going to be a bit like Toronto here) I do think it's over codifying and planning for every eventuality. I'm aware that there is a small period that both you are Toronto are away from teh house, but how often is that going to happen? If nessesary seeing as we close the house for Christmas we not just close for the short period you are both away? You are both saying that this person would barely do anything anyway so why have them?! Does a second deputy add anything intrinsically valuable to teh house?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    Ohhh, I hadn't noticed the wiki support team exists.

I should make it clear that I do appreciate what you are doing but (I'm sorry I'm going to be a bit like Toronto here) I do think it's over codifying and planning for every eventuality. I'm aware that there is a small period that both you are Toronto are away from teh house, but how often is that going to happen? If nessesary seeing as we close the house for Christmas we not just close for the short period you are both away? You are both saying that this person would barely do anything anyway so why have them?! Does a second deputy add anything intrinsically valuable to teh house?
    Ironically, my original amendment was very, very simple but toronto suggested amending every mention of the Deputy to account for the change.

It won't be frequent, but there will be such a time very soon.

I think that Deputy Speaker (like Deputy Leader in a party) is good prep for moving onto the actual Speakership but that we also want someone like toronto who's seen it all holding the position and offering his guidance. See what I'm getting at?
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Aph)
    QFA
    Ironically, my original amendment was very, very simple but toronto suggested amending every mention of the Deputy to account for the change.

I think that Deputy Speaker (like Deputy Leader in a party) is good prep for moving onto the actual Speakership but that we also want someone like toronto who's seen it all holding the position and offering his guidance. See what I'm getting at?
    To clarify Aph, my detailed amending here does not make my criticism of yours at all hypocritical
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    To clarify Aph, my detailed amending here does not make my criticism of yours at all hypocritical
    Commons Banter.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad

No I agree with changing the name as it is really annoying when there is a mismatch.

It feels like you want to create a conveyer belt of speakers and make it clear to everyone who is going to be the next speaker before the election... Almost as if you want speakership to become a monarchy with the deputy chairman being your heir apparent. If that is the case I'm really not fond of this amendment.
    Speaking off you never did answer me in that post I asked your opinion on...
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Aph)
    No I agree with changing the name as it is really annoying when there is a mismatch.

It feels like you want to create a conveyer belt of speakers and make it clear to everyone who is going to be the next speaker before the election... Almost as if you want speakership to become a monarchy with the deputy chairman being your heir apparent. If that is the case I'm really not fond of this amendment.

Speaking off you never did answer me in that post I asked your opinion on...
    Tag me again and I'll have a look.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)

It feels like you want to create a conveyer belt of speakers and make it clear to everyone who is going to be the next speaker before the election... Almost as if you want speakership to become a monarchy with the deputy chairman being your heir apparent. If that is the case I'm really not fond of this amendment
    I wasn't going to change the name at all. I was just going to say that the Deputy Speaker elected first has seniority blah blah blah

Not at all and it doesn't sound like that either - especially as this wasn't originally my idea. I think you're just a bit prejudiced into thinking of me a certain way.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I wasn't going to change the name at all. I was just going to say that the Deputy Speaker elected first has seniority blah blah blah

Not at all and it doesn't sound like that either - especially as this wasn't originally my idea. I think you're just a bit prejudiced into thinking of me a certain way.
    The way you worded it very much sounded like it. Initially I was supportive of this but this is a time where I feel like it's just overpreparing. I mean if you absolutely need a short term replacement for both of you then just appoint a random person and give them teh PM list but I would prefer that the house just went on holiday for the time.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    The way you worded it very much sounded like it. Initially I was supportive of this but this is a time where I feel like it's just overpreparing. I mean if you absolutely need a short term replacement for both of you then just appoint a random person and give them teh PM list but I would prefer that the house just went on holiday for the time.
    It didn't though. I'm absolutely certain if it wasn't me saying it you wouldn't think that.

I'm surprised you'd let me appoint someone, aren't you worried it be the beginning of an evil dictatorship?

I wouldn't want House business to be affected so thought holiday thing is not a terrible idea I'm uncomfortable with it.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    It didn't though. I'm absolutely certain if it wasn't me saying it you wouldn't think that.

I'm surprised you'd let me appoint someone, aren't you worried it be the beginning of an evil dictatorship?

I wouldn't want House business to be affected so thought holiday thing is not a terrible idea I'm uncomfortable with it.
    I'm certain that I would be saying that to anyone.

I tryst you to make the right call... I don't think you are a dictator.

Given the time it's going to happen I don't think it would be too disruptive and indeed might help the house.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Aye

ReputationRep:
    Aye, don't see any negative effect this would have.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    If it models on the RL HofC and recognises Toronto353's excellent work, then it has my support.
    Hear, hear!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aye
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You really are obsessed with making other people do your job, aren't you?

ReputationRep:
    Aye

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
    No chills were given!

ReputationRep:
    I don't really care, but if Ray thinks this will help him, then aye.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    I'm certain that I would be saying that to anyone.

I tryst you to make the right call... I don't think you are a dictator.

Given the time it's going to happen I don't think it would be too disruptive and indeed might help the house.
    I may put up a poll asking for the right to appoint a 'proxy' for a week or so. Perhaps that's what the amendment should be.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Relax mate. Get an ice cream or something.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.