Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Moving in together in the first year of uni? Watch

What do you guys think about moving in with gf, after 3 years of being together, in a long distance relationship, where the distance gradually decreased from 4 hour flight, to 1.5 hour train ride. We are both 18 and are thinking about moving in, since our unis aren't that far apart (one central London and the other one on the outskirts). We both know that it'll be tough after maybe a month, and we will have our disagreements, but both believe that we have excellent communication (since we've been together for 3 years in LDR), and that we will be able to resolve any issues. Her parents are all for it, whereas mine think that it's not a good idea, since it's too early and people at hour age need "freedom".
    I know it seems early, but we are best friends apart from being in love, and I think we can manage it just fine....
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What do you guys think about moving in with gf, after 3 years of being together, in a long distance relationship, where the distance gradually decreased from 4 hour flight, to 1.5 hour train ride. We are both 18 and are thinking about moving in, since our unis aren't that far apart (one central London and the other one on the outskirts). We both know that it'll be tough after maybe a month, and we will have our disagreements, but both believe that we have excellent communication (since we've been together for 3 years in LDR), and that we will be able to resolve any issues. Her parents are all for it, whereas mine think that it's not a good idea, since it's too early and people at hour age need "freedom".
    I know it seems early, but we are best friends apart from being in love, and I think we can manage it just fine....
    Going from living an hour away to seeing each other everyday is quite a change but otherwise if your relationship is good communication wise then you should be able to figure out any problems. I certainly don't think it's too young although I m a bit biased there as I moved in with my boyfriend before I was 19 myself.

ReputationRep:
    I would say living with someone at 18 is high risk. But if your relationship is strong and you feel like it, why not..

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.