Turn on thread page Beta

What is short? watch

ReputationRep:
    Below 6 foot for a bloke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    Is there a place to find average height by city? Because I feel unusually average for my small height, 6 inches should be a big difference right?
    I'm 5'5 too but I feel incredibly short here in Leeds. Very few males are my height, especially white males. East Asians do tend to be shorter, but oddly I find more black males shorter than me than I do white males... White guys are so tall here...

ReputationRep:
    For a woman in the UK anything below 5'4''; for a man anything below 5'10''

I happen to be a 5'7'' woman so I'm quite happy with my height

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    Your school must be insanely tall.

I basically meant what do people see as short but it seems as though most people consider anything below average or even 5'10 to be short, which I find a bit unbelievable.

Like at school there was a girl who was like 4 foot 10, she was clearly much shorter than everyone else and most people described her with her height. I wanted to know what height qualifies you for being especially short?
    Oh and obviously short for a guy is different from short for a female.

There is no "you're short" objectively, when people you're short thye mean for a girl or for a guy. For a guy I'd say anyone under 5'8 is short. 5'8 - 6ft is average height. Above 6ft is tall.

for a girl I'd say under 5'4 is short. Short women are life though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    I'm 5'5 too but I feel incredibly short here in Leeds. Very few males are my height, especially white males. East Asians do tend to be shorter, but oddly I find more black males shorter than me than I do white males... White guys are so tall here...
    I think the stereotype that black men are tall is a myth created by US basketball, I am from a country in Africa and although is not your typical African country, many Africans I do know are not 'tall' but usually quite average.

Maybe I am just not self aware, I am shorter than nearly all of my male friends but I just don't feel it is big enough for me to care, like very few of my friends seem intimidatingly big for me? Even the few who are 6 foot, I don't feel like they tower above me. I'd personally only feel towered above by someone who was like 6 foot 3 or taller.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefano865)
    That's fine.

So do you have a target height then?
    I wouldn't call it a target, but I'll like to be tall enough to not be considered short by the average person, so something like 5ft9 or 5ft10.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mayhem™)
    I wouldn't call it a target, but I'll like to be tall enough to not be considered short by the average person, so something like 5ft9 or 5ft10.

Yeah know what you mean.

You're pretty fit though ngl.

ReputationRep:
    I am 5'5" also and in general have tended to have much taller friends, average height seemed pretty high in my school. At uni now I still am noticeably shorter than most guys, but I find the average height a little lower and see more guys around my height.
    Still never really found it a massive deal, I mean there was I suppose an "awareness" of my stature in school, in that it was sometimes brought up, but I wouldn't say I ever felt bullied for it, maybe a bit of "banter" every now and then but don't mind that. Only been commented on like once at uni and that's playing pool where being short I was ****ed for some shots without a rest so it makes sense lol.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.