The Student Room Group

Broken dreams....

This is just my little self pitying thread. Also serves as a reminder to other people (and myself!) that there are people in a much worse situation.

So...i did my AS exams, they went ok not great but i was on target for CC at A2 which is what i needed. Between my AS/A2 exams i had a panic attack followed by a breakdown which ended up with me being admitted to to hospital for 2 weeks. Strictly speaking i'm still an inpatient i don't get discharged until tuesday. Anyway because of this i was unable to sit my A2 exams which my offers depend on. One of my offers accepts people with AS grades but i know i haven't got the grades i needed but i would have done had a sat my A2 exams (confusing i know). So i am now faced with the prospect of losing my offers for the second year in a row and i don't know where to turn. I'm planning to send doctors letters and the like to the universities but i'm not too hopeful. I don't know what to do right now except hope that Southampton will let me defer my place until i am able to sit my A2 exams. But i'm not hopeful.

Part of me is really depressed, its the end of the world and i know i'll have to go off and do another degree i don't really want to do in order to apply as a graduate. The other part knows that things happen for a reason. Some people have nothing to eat in the world, or would love to have a chance to study anything at any university, let alone medicine. I'm trying to tell my brain that it doesn't matter if i loose my place. I'm more than my uni places. But in truth i don't think i am.

I can't help feeling hard done by though. I've wanted to do this for so long and i don't know what i'll do if i loose my place.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sarky

This is just my little self pitying thread. Also serves as a reminder to other people (and myself!) that there are people in a much worse situation.

So...i did my AS exams, they went ok not great but i was on target for CC at A2 which is what i needed. Between my AS/A2 exams i had a panic attack followed by a breakdown which ended up with me being admitted to to hospital for 2 weeks. Strictly speaking i'm still an inpatient i don't get discharged until tuesday. Anyway because of this i was unable to sit my A2 exams which my offers depend on. One of my offers accepts people with AS grades but i know i haven't got the grades i needed but i would have done had a sat my A2 exams (confusing i know). So i am now faced with the prospect of losing my offers for the second year in a row and i don't know where to turn. I'm planning to send doctors letters and the like to the universities but i'm not too hopeful. I don't know what to do right now except hope that Southampton will let me defer my place until i am able to sit my A2 exams. But i'm not hopeful.

Part of me is really depressed, its the end of the world and i know i'll have to go off and do another degree i don't really want to do in order to apply as a graduate. The other part knows that things happen for a reason. Some people have nothing to eat in the world, or would love to have a chance to study anything at any university, let alone medicine. I'm trying to tell my brain that it doesn't matter if i loose my place. I'm more than my uni places. But in truth i don't think i am.

I can't help feeling hard done by though. I've wanted to do this for so long and i don't know what i'll do if i loose my place.
Get in touch with your examination officer at your school ASAP. This is an exceptional circumstance and you might be able to get your predicted grade given as your grade for these modules.
Reply 2
meepmeep
Get in touch with your school ASAP. This is an exceptional circumstance and you might be able to get your predicted grade given as your grade for these modules.

I contacted them and was told that i need proof from the hospital which i don't get until i am discharged on tuesday. However once i am discharged i am planning to go back and talk to my college. I just hope it makes a difference. I didn't know they could do that re modules you haven't taken.
Reply 3
Sarky
I contacted them and was told that i need proof from the hospital which i don't get until i am discharged on tuesday. However once i am discharged i am planning to go back and talk to my college. I just hope it makes a difference. I didn't know they could do that re modules you haven't taken.
Yeah, but they need a doctor's note to send off to the board, so it's worth asking for one from the hospital listing the dates when you were under their care. From the sound of it, you have a good case.If you look here for instance:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/admin/p_special_8.html

It states:

Candidates who miss a module test through illness or personal misfortune

Candidates who miss a module test due to circumstances beyond their control (for example, illness, accident or bereavement) may be eligible for an award by special consideration. In order that we can make such an award, centres do need to ensure that an entry has been made for any tests which have been missed.

You definately come under that category. Just make sure your school gets the notes off to the exam boards as soon as possible.
Reply 4
Thanks for that information. I withdrew myself from my A2 exams so i doubt that would count for me. Coupled with the fact that i don't do AQA but i'll have a look at OCR.

Thank you for replying i appreciate it.
Reply 5
Sarky
Thanks for that information. I withdrew myself from my A2 exams so i doubt that would count for me. Coupled with the fact that i don't do AQA but i'll have a look at OCR.

Thank you for replying i appreciate it.

It's no trouble. :smile:

The same rules should apply to all exam boards. Good luck.
Reply 6
I'm realy sorry to hear that. As long as you or your school get in touch with your exam board, they should be able to sort something out. This is definitely as special circumstance, so don't worry too much.
Hope you feel better soon, and the best of luck to you.
Reply 7
yup dont worry ull be fine... this geeza on this forum (mg84) had a nose bleed during an exam... which he subsequently could finish... he was awarded 118/120 marks... lol not a bad result... you condition seems a lot worse... so you will definately get your predicted grades (at least...)
Reply 8
Thanks guys i'll definately get onto my college and see what i can do. I'd do anything to keep my offer.
Sarky
Thanks guys i'll definately get onto my college and see what i can do. I'd do anything to keep my offer.

Good Luck with it all! :smile:
Reply 10
Sarky

I know how u must feel, i had a car accident on the way to my exam, i was so shaken and in pain, but i was still really worried about the exam so i sat the exam despite being in no fit state to i totally messed it up!

I informed my examinations officer immediately who is going to write to the board, even though my doctor won't write me a note (she says she wasn't there to witness the event) shes made a note of it in my medical cards i also have the details of a few witnesses who saw the whole incident.

I also contacted my prospective university, just outlining what happened in case it has a negative effect on my result. Like you i'm really worried about losing my place for med, its hard enough getting the offer in the first place.
I wouldn't worry to much though, because your situation sounds like it will be a strong case and i'm sure that will be taken into consideration.

sam
x
Reply 11
I spoke the the exams officer at college and he was very blunt. Told me i was stupid for trying to sit my exams when i was in hospital (i thought i was doing the right thing by trying) and that he didn't see why he should bother to help me when i had left it this late.

He also said that he won't do anything unless my consultant writes in the letter that i was allowed to leave hospital to do some exams, but was too ill to do the rest. I know for a fact she will do no such thing, because she told me and said that she wouldn't support me because i should find another career to pursue.

After crying my eyes out this morning i'm trying to get an appointment with my GP but she is book up until the 14th of July which is far too late..

Everythings going wrong....
Reply 12
SAM*
I know how u must feel, i had a car accident on the way to my exam, i was so shaken and in pain, but i was still really worried about the exam so i sat the exam despite being in no fit state to i totally messed it up!

I informed my examinations officer immediately who is going to write to the board, even though my doctor won't write me a note (she says she wasn't there to witness the event) shes made a note of it in my medical cards i also have the details of a few witnesses who saw the whole incident.

I also contacted my prospective university, just outlining what happened in case it has a negative effect on my result. Like you i'm really worried about losing my place for med, its hard enough getting the offer in the first place.
I wouldn't worry to much though, because your situation sounds like it will be a strong case and i'm sure that will be taken into consideration.

sam
x

Sorry for seemingly ignoring everything you wrote. I can't imagine how shook up you must have been after the accident. I'm just glad you are ok. The fact you did your exam is a bonus but its much more significant that you are not badly injured. I very much hope that you get the grades SAM*. This is the second year in row i've mucked up my A levels. Let me know how you do, i'll be thinking of you.
Reply 13
Sarky
I spoke the the exams officer at college and he was very blunt. Told me i was stupid for trying to sit my exams when i was in hospital (i thought i was doing the right thing by trying) and that he didn't see why he should bother to help me when i had left it this late.

He also said that he won't do anything unless my consultant writes in the letter that i was allowed to leave hospital to do some exams, but was too ill to do the rest. I know for a fact she will do no such thing, because she told me and said that she wouldn't support me because i should find another career to pursue.

After crying my eyes out this morning i'm trying to get an appointment with my GP but she is book up until the 14th of July which is far too late..

Wow, that's just mean. Have you tried ringing up any of your universities yet and seeing what they say?
Frances
Wow, that's just mean. Have you tried ringing up any of your universities yet and seeing what they say?

ITA with Frances. They make exceptions for extreme circumstances, and yours sounds as extreme as they comeI A girl in my year, her dad had a heart attack the night before her first A-level exam and had to have an emergency by-pass (he did survive.). She go in to her uni with CE instead of CC.

Don't give up! Explore every avenue! You have done so well to get a place. Don't let it go.

If worst comes to worst, do biology/biomedical science. Then join a 4 year graduate medicine course.

I'd just like to add that medicine is as tough as they come by all accounts, so for the sake of your health consider a year out if you are not fully recovered. You need to be healthy to get through 6 years of intense study.
Reply 15
Sarky

ring up your surgery again- explain that it's urgent that something happens and you need to see a doctor- they have an obligation to see you if it's urgent (i work in a surgery). if you really can't get an appointment ask to speak to your doctor- she will probably be willing to do a letter without seeing you if she's had all the info from the hospital (which she should have). try speaking to a nicer teacher at college (like your form tutor) and get them to argue your case with the examinations officer

lou xxx
Reply 16
Sarky

Get an emergency appointment with your GP. They should have ones available all the time.

Phone the university, too - they may be more sympathetic than the exam board or your college. Good luck!
Reply 17
Sarky
I spoke the the exams officer at college and he was very blunt. Told me i was stupid...

sounds like he needs a good slap.
Reply 18
Sarky

This seems absolutely ridiculous. Why on earth won't the consultant write you a letter? Lie to her. Say you don't want to do the career but want to at least be given a fair hearing on your grades as they will follow you about for the rest of your life. It is in no way her decision what you want to as a career and is not her job to be deciding what you can and cannot do.
Reply 19
Sarky
Sorry for seemingly ignoring everything you wrote. I can't imagine how shook up you must have been after the accident. I'm just glad you are ok. The fact you did your exam is a bonus but its much more significant that you are not badly injured. I very much hope that you get the grades SAM*. This is the second year in row i've mucked up my A levels. Let me know how you do, i'll be thinking of you.

Thanks sarky, i to will be thinking of you, your situation is far more distressing especially 'fighting' with it for two years! fortunately my accident just affected one exam, i don't know what i would have done if it had affected all of them! You should maybe try getting in touch with your university and exam boards yourself, or get a parent to!

Honestly i think your health is number one priority so worry about that first! i wish you all the best and keep me updated!

sam
x

Latest

Trending

Trending