Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to study Psychology and need help deciding which uni I should put as my firm, either Birmingham or Bristol. They are both great academically so I want to know how they differ based on nightlife and diversity. Please help!

ReputationRep:
    If you mean the Uni of Bham then its amazing. I used to go the Law school and its great, lovely atmosphere and its so convenient in Bham. Their also making a new library for the Uni and looks quite cool

ReputationRep:
    I had the same problem - I've already done my a levels so I got unconditionals from both which made it so hard for me to decide!

I know Bristol well as I live in Cardiff which is only 45 mins away and I already have a lot of friends there, this was hard because I think I wouldve had an easier time at Bristol BUT I finally decided to firm Birmingham because I decided I wanted a new challenge and I actually really loved the idea of campus as it had such a community student feel whereas bristol is spread all around so you're often not really in the same studenty atmosphere because you're living dotted around in the middle of town where the general public are.
    I also found there to be a bit more diversity in Bham as Bristol is great but there is a lot of posh/affluent people and then a lot of homelessness so the gap is really big and it is quite noticeable even when I've been on nights out etc. Lots of people go to Bristol from private schools which is absolutely fine but I just decided in the end I wanted to be in a place where there are more people from all walks of life. Also bham is very big and there are loads of opportunities, its such a developing, exciting new place to be
    Another thing I would suggest doing is looking at the course in a lot of detail because Bristol calls the course Experimental Psychology and so they are more focused on that whereas Bham has a really wide range and I found that looking at the third year modules, Bham had a really interesting wide selection compared to Bristol which didnt have half as many!
    so it all depends on what you want to get out of the course too - look at what you find interesting and which uni is offering you those types of modules

I hope you make the best decision for you!
    Good luck

ReputationRep:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 24, 2016
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.