Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    On the UKCISA website, there are criteria to qualify for home fee status.One of the criteria is:

    (d) the main purpose for your residence in the UK and Islands must not have been to receive full-time education during any part of that three-year period.

    My dad came to the UK in 2006 and I came here by the end of 2013. During the period of residence in the UK I am dependent on him. If I take a gap year before I go to uni I can get an ILR which meets the first criteria of "settled in the UK", but I am very unsure about the criteria I listed above.

    It is a problem because I have to take a gap year to get the ILR before the first day of the course, which I don't want to take, unless I can be categorised as a home student. But if after the gap year I still cannot be treated as home student because of the criteria I listed, it will be not good. So I do want to be sure about this.

    Anybody can help me? Thanks.
    • Very Important Poster

    Very Important Poster
    It means that you must have come over here for reasons other than education. For example, some people come over here to work, they may come over here to look after a sick relative, etc. Basically, your purpose of being in the UK can't be to have just have received education.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing


people online now


students helped last year

University open days

  1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.