Turn on thread page Beta

Can't make female friends watch

Hi

I'm a guy and I have many male friends. But I only have one female friend.

If I become friends with a girl who looks alright, then I want more than just friendship. I mean, if I find her attractive and we're friends, why not try to go further? But they seem fine with the friendship... And we end up going separate ways because it's not worth it, it's easier for me to feel better if I don't see them as often as I used to.

That one female friend that I have is one of my best friends. I was attracted to her from the start. We became really good friends somehow. Didn't say anything for a long time, then about 1 year ago I told her everything and she rejected me. We stayed friends because she's such a good friend I didn't want to lose her but that's the only reason I even have a female friend.

Anyway, I'm just curious, is that "normal"? I don't like that word but can't find a better way to say it. Do you have friends of the opposite sex?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi

If I become friends with a girl who looks alright, then I want more than just friendship. I mean, if I find her attractive and we're friends, why not try to go further? But they seem fine with the friendship... And we end up going separate ways because it's not worth it, it's easier for me to feel better if I don't see them as often as I used to.

That one female friend that I have is one of my best friends. I was attracted to her from the start. We became really good friends somehow. Didn't say anything for a long time, then about 1 year ago I told her everything and she rejected me. We stayed friends because she's such a good friend I didn't want to lose her but that's the only reason I even have a female friend.

Anyway, I'm just curious, is that "normal"? I don't like that word but can't find a better way to say it. Do you have friends of the opposite sex?

Thanks.
    I am in a boys skl but i still have some girls i talk to just by simply....talking and being myself. Also, girls LOVE confidence so if u want score, be confident.

I myself don't know what "normal" is because everyone's life is different and so i can only say to be yourself and do not be to self-worried.

tc

ReputationRep:
    Lets be honest, most of us guys who have attractive female friends would have sex with them given the opportunity. The only reason not to do it is if it risks wrecking an actual very good friendship or if the circumstances aren't right (ie you or her are dating someone, work or live together etc)

Now that is different from developing feelings for them every time, that shouldn't happen :/

But its something that you can train your brain to do, simply looking at girls as friends. How she qualifies as a good friend rather than as a good girlfriend. How you two fit together as friends and what are the benefits a friendship would bring to the 2 of you. Personally I think its important to have mixed gender friends, as how you feel and act around attractive women has an impact on your confidence and social skills. If this is something you wish to develop because you think it would be usefull to you, then try harder to train your brain. If not, I don't think there is anything wrong either in just having guy friends

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Thanks.
    Nothing wrong.
    Watch the film When Warry met Sally

ReputationRep:
    I'm a woman and I really struggle with it too tbh; a lot of girls (but not all) are just not worth the drama, especially when their boyfriends come into play

ReputationRep:
    ^ He means When Harry Met Sally

ReputationRep:
    You just need to grow up and realise you don't have to have sex with every pretty girl that enters your life.

Thanks everyone

(Original post by Mancini)
    You just need to grow up and realise you don't have to have sex with every pretty girl that enters your life.
    You just need to read the first message of this thread again and realise I'm not talking about sex.

(Original post by DK_Boy12)
    Lets be honest, most of us guys who have attractive female friends would have sex with them given the opportunity. The only reason not to do it is if it risks wrecking an actual very good friendship or if the circumstances aren't right (ie you or her are dating someone, work or live together etc)Now that is different from developing feelings for them every time, that shouldn't happen :/But its something that you can train your brain to do, simply looking at girls as friends. How she qualifies as a good friend rather than as a good girlfriend. How you two fit together as friends and what are the benefits a friendship would bring to the 2 of you. Personally I think its important to have mixed gender friends, as how you feel and act around attractive women has an impact on your confidence and social skills. If this is something you wish to develop because you think it would be usefull to you, then try harder to train your brain. If not, I don't think there is anything wrong either in just having guy friends
    Thanks. I agree, I think it's important too for the same reason as you and that's why I created this thread. But the truth is I usually have way more in common with guys. I prefer male friends but I wouldn't mind having female friends at all (quite the opposite). I'll try that and indeed, if it doesn't work then I'll just have to do without it. It's ok as long as I have (male) friends.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone

You just need to read the first message of this thread again and realise I'm not talking about sex.

Thanks. I agree, I think it's important too for the same reason as you and that's why I created this thread. But the truth is I usually have way more in common with guys. I prefer male friends but I wouldn't mind having female friends at all (quite the opposite). I'll try that and indeed, if it doesn't work then I'll just have to do without it. It's ok as long as I have (male) friends.
    Stop being in denial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mancini)
    OK half

ReputationRep:
    It's simple use your female friends to get girls instead of trying to get with them. Most of my friends are girls and I know how nice is for them to be friends with a man who doesn't hit on them and sees them for who they are. I've had attractive girls come on to me but turned it down because I didn't see them in a sexualised way it's the same way you look at a sister eventually you see them in a different way. I would never get girls approach me if I didn't have female friends, if I'm by myself or with only men it's much harder.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Thanks everyone

But you obviously do mean that. I personally find it rather difficult being friends with a guy who is quite clearly just after that. It just makes everything so damn awkward.

ReputationRep:
    you need to stop liking every pretty girl in your life. most people have friends with their opposite sex friends, i do, but i dont jump into their pants if i find them attractive :lol:

ReputationRep:
    But I only have one female friend.

That's 1 more than me m8. Choosing to go to an all boys london grammar school was a mistake. My second mistake was staying for the sixth form. It's not like I'm shy, I'm just not friends with any. I have acquaintances though

ReputationRep:
    I am a female and most of my friends used to be guys. Barely any of my friends are guys now...I literally don't have one guy friend.

(Original post by Tiger Rag)
    But you obviously do mean that. I personally find it rather difficult being friends with a guy who is quite clearly just after that. It just makes everything so damn awkward.
    I'm an anon, why would I lie? I'm really not looking for that. Of course, being single, if an attractive girl who happens to be a good friend was asking me to have sex with her I'm not saying I would say no but that's just common sense...

And I'm not "just after that". You can be friends with a girl and have feelings for her at the same time. It's been my situation for 3 years now (with the girl I mentioned earlier) and except the day she rejected me it's never been awkward between us. Do we argue sometimes because of that? Yeah. Is it hard for me when I see her flirting with another guy? Sure.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.