Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Diplomatic Academy of Vienna - info watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

is there anyone out there who knows more about the Diplomatic Academy of Vienna? Esp. in terms of reputation (within Central Europe and internationally), the academic quality, employment prospects, how supportive they are with internships on the side? Is it worth the 24 000 Euros in tuition?

ReputationRep:
    DA is a big fish in a small pond. It is very niche and mostly limited to German speaking region and some Eastern European/Balkan countries (ex Habsburg empire). Small class size and faculty. It does not have proper depth, some area studies and concentrations. It aims at practioners and policy makers, relatively light on theory and research (compared to LSE and Oxford). Small faculty plus professional adjuncts. 24K Euros is a lot of money with questionable ROI. Why would one attend DA if you can attend LSE MSc IR, IHEID IR, Hertie MIA and still have spare cash left. I also believe that the calibre of students at DA is not as impressive as top IR programmes. Even the best Austrian candidates prefer to attend US programmes (Georgetown, SAIS, HKS) with better educational and professional opportunities. Assume they have GPA/GRE and relevant employment. This was confirmed by an Austrian applicant who went to the US on scholarship. DA only works if one is funded by the Civil Service (most students are). DA tries to grow internationally with dual degree agreement (SAIS Europe), but I rarely see any SAIS people going for DA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tcannon)
    DA is a big fish in a small pond. It is very niche and mostly limited to German speaking region and some Eastern European/Balkan countries (ex Habsburg empire). Small class size and faculty. It does not have proper depth, some area studies and concentrations. It aims at practioners and policy makers, relatively light on theory and research (compared to LSE and Oxford). Small faculty plus professional adjuncts. 24K Euros is a lot of money with questionable ROI. Why would one attend DA if you can attend LSE MSc IR, IHEID IR, Hertie MIA and still have spare cash left. I also believe that the calibre of students at DA is not as impressive as top IR programmes. Even the best Austrian candidates prefer to attend US programmes (Georgetown, SAIS, HKS) with better educational and professional opportunities. Assume they have GPA/GRE and relevant employment. This was confirmed by an Austrian applicant who went to the US on scholarship. DA only works if one is funded by the Civil Service (most students are). DA tries to grow internationally with dual degree agreement (SAIS Europe), but I rarely see any SAIS people going for DA.
    Thanks for the response! So my fears seem justified...I talked to a former professor from the DA and she told me similar things (but I was thinking that her rather negative opinion was based on her very particular, personal experience). I am looking for a practice-oriented school (not heavy on research/theories) with professional connections to the Vienesse IOs + with appeal in Eastern Europe and in this regard, the DA seems good. But I doubt that it is worth 24k.

Also, do you have any estimation about the annual intake at the DA? I heard sth like 1 in 7...the problem is that I don't have a stellar GPA (3.5 from Dutch undergrad), so most top schools were out of my reach...and even at the DA, I was deferred. I am also still waiting for an answer from IHEID, and I got into Charles University in Prague (IR programme in English, oldest uni in Central Europe). So it's probably going to be either Prague or Vienna, but I think that Charles Uni is much, much less known even in Central Europe...

ReputationRep:
    Small intake compared to other IR programmes in Europe. I think DA admits more than 7 each year. I heard about DA from the Vienna professional, she was impressive and decided to study in the US to broaden her horizon. The trend towards Government Affairs Schools, rankings and internationalization just works against DA. SAIS students regard DA as a step down. 3.5/4.0 GPA is good. I hope IHEID comes through for you, isn't notification in late March? it certainly has good IO links in Geneva. I think the IOs in Vienna require some specific skills (UN Human Rights, UN Industrial Development Policy and OPEC Energy).

For Eastern Europe and IR, did you consider English taught MA at Central European Uni in Budapest? International intake, decent ranking and well regarded in subject, dual degrees with other good IRs, EU funded grants/scholarship. Good student/faculty ratio. Strength in governance, International Public Policy. UCL and Glasgow have good Eastern European programmes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tcannon)
    Small intake compared to other IR programmes in Europe. I think DA admits more than 7 each year. I heard about DA from the Vienna professional, she was impressive and decided to study in the US to broaden her horizon. The trend towards Government Affairs Schools, rankings and internationalization just works against DA. SAIS students regard DA as a step down. 3.5/4.0 GPA is good. I hope IHEID comes through for you, isn't notification in late March? it certainly has good IO links in Geneva. I think the IOs in Vienna require some specific skills (UN Human Rights, UN Industrial Development Policy and OPEC Energy).

For Eastern Europe and IR, did you consider English taught MA at Central European Uni in Budapest? International intake, decent ranking and well regarded in subject, dual degrees with other good IRs, EU funded grants/scholarship. Good student/faculty ratio. Strength in governance, International Public Policy. UCL and Glasgow have good Eastern European programmes.
    For the intake figures, I meant 1 out of every 7 applicants apparently gets in (so sth like 14%), but that may be just a rumour. And yeah, IHEID results should come in today or tomorrow, but I don't really expect to get in...

I did not consider CEU at all. I know it's good (at least regionally), but the location just doesn't fit me.

ReputationRep:
    14% admission rate at DA? No way. I would be very surprised and would take this number with a pinch of salt. Compared to top IR programmes, DA does not get so many applicants in the first place. Even Georgetown SFS (30%), SAIS (40%) and SIPA (38%) have higher official admission number according to their websites.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone actually attended the 2 years masters program there? I have been accepted into the program and I am trying to decide if I want to go there or to Tel Aviv's Masters program. Would love to hear some feedback from someone who has actually attended the Academy.

FYI, I'm from Texas, just finished University back in December. Just looking to take the next step toward a career in the IR field.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I've also been accepted to DAA's MAIS programme and although I was initially absolutely set on going to Vienna, I just can't really find a lot of (independent) information on the DAA and their course. I would love to hear something from actual students who went there and of their experience afterwards (in terms of jobs etc).

I have also been accepted to King's College's International Peace and Security MA and I don't know... I am just not sure what to do but will need to make a decision soon.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.