Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Questions: review my programme + lifting on a cut Watch

ReputationRep:
    This is my current programme:

I've modified Stronglifts for extra leg work (I know you shouldn't change the specified programme but I find it works for me since I was having an issue with glue activation )

I alternate workouts, and I workout every other day. Been doing this for a couple of months. Wanted to ask if I should change anything in case I'm working muscle groups in an unbalanced way?

Workout A
    Squat: 5x5
    Bench: 5x5
    Row: 5x5
    RDL: 3x8

Workout B
    Squat: 5x5
    Deadlift: 1x5
    OHP: 5x5
    Glute bridge: 3x10

Also lifting on a cut... Should I stick with my current programme? It's getting more and more difficult to grind out the sets, and I'm only increasing sets every other time I do the exercise (as opposed to every time). I end up taking much longer rest times, and feel so damn hungry during my workout even if I eat shortly before which I find very distracting!

ReputationRep:
    you can reduce volume by 1/3rd on a cut just make sure you keep the weight on the bar, e.g. 5x5 becomes 3x5, 3x8 becomes 2x8 etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greg Jackson)
    you can reduce volume by 1/3rd on a cut just make sure you keep the weight on the bar, e.g. 5x5 becomes 3x5, 3x8 becomes 2x8 etc
    Really? Says who? (sorry not trying to be argumentative, just want to know if there is any backing behind what you've said!!)

Also can I keep adding weight even though it isn't as quick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tootles44)
    Really? Says who? (sorry not trying to be argumentative, just want to know if there is any backing behind what you've said!!)

Also can I keep adding weight even though it isn't as quick?
    Lyle Mcdonald, he's one of the few legit guys who knows what he's talking about in the industry, but yeah if you can keep adding weight to the bar then do so and take any strength gained as a bonus. Going balls to the wall 5x5 on heavy compounds while in a caloric deficit can be tough especially on the joints, remember it takes less stimulus to maintain muscle than it does to actually initiate growth so reduced volume is ok as long as your lifts aren't dropping. Sometimes I like to run just starting strength with some accessories when I'm cutting - which is just enough stimulus to maintain lbm without spending hours in the gym and risking injury etc since I won't be gaining much if any muscle in a deficit.

ReputationRep:
    Lyle Mcdonald, he's one of the few legit guys who knows what he's talking about in the industry, but yeah if you can keep adding weight to the bar then do so and take any strength gained as a bonus. Going balls to the wall 5x5 on heavy compounds while in a caloric deficit can be tough especially on the joints, remember it takes less stimulus to maintain muscle than it does to actually initiate growth so reduced volume is ok as long as your lifts aren't dropping. Sometimes I like to run just starting strength with some accessories when I'm cutting - which is just enough stimulus to maintain lbm without spending hours in the gym and risking injury etc since I won't be gaining much if any muscle in a deficit.
    Oh okay I see, thanks for explaining it

What should I do for the deadlifts 1x5? Keep it the same? Come to the realization that I can no longer lift my previous deadlift weight

ReputationRep:
    For what it's worth, can confirm Greg's suggestion as a legit strat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad)
    For what it's worth, can confirm Greg's suggestion as a legit strat.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay I see, thanks for explaining it

What should I do for the deadlifts 1x5? Keep it the same? Come to the realization that I can no longer lift my previous deadlift weight
    keep deadlifts the same, is your deadlift weight dropping? It's ok to lose a little strength but try and keep it at the same level it was before, maybe your deficit is too big, or maybe you're putting so much into the 5x5 squats when it comes to the deadlift you don't have much left (due to the calorie deficit)

ReputationRep:
    keep deadlifts the same, is your deadlift weight dropping? It's ok to lose a little strength but try and keep it at the same level it was before, maybe your deficit is too big
    Yeah I think my initial deficit was way too much and I wasn't tracking either, just not eating very much (had a really hectic week). Ive readjusted and tracked so will try again.

ReputationRep:
    i will try the work out A, i think i can do that
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Greg knows

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Greg knows
    Angry cucumber, what do you think of my current programme?
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Angry cucumber, what do you think of my current programme?
    It's fine; I would advise the same as Greg for the most part.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Seems kind of weird that you're doing glute activation exercises after squats and deadlifts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    Seems kind of weird that you're doing glute activation exercises after squats and deadlifts.
    Really, how come? I just dont want to tire myself out before the big lifts :/

ReputationRep:
    Really, how come? I just dont want to tire myself out before the big lifts :/
    I suppose I'm confused about what the purpose of that work is. It's either leg volume work or glute activation work, and it can't really be both. The whole point of volume work is to adapt to doing more volume, and the whole point of doing activation work is to get to a point where you don't have to do it any more. Activation work is done before the main lifts so that your glutes are "activated" to improve your squat. Then you reinforce that technique by squatting and deadlifting and eventually, you get to the point where you can use your glutes in a squat without doing special exercises first.

For activation work I would favour light and fast banded RDLs or kettlebell swings (banded if you're athletic) over glute bridges or RDLs with straight weight. For extra volume work then it's different, but unless you have a very specific reason I would be inclined to just get that volume by doing another set of your main exercise rather than an assistance move.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.