Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Being too religious can be a disadvantage (my opinion) watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.

Just wanted to say that I think being too religious can be a disadvantage.

Previously in my life, I've been very Islamically religious for 3 years. I used to go mosque, and listen to religious people giving lectures and pray etc, etc.

I also used to listen to lectures about how I should "Keep a distance from worldly affairs, and focus mostly on deen (religion)" This put me at a big disadvantage. I lost a lot of confidence in society because I was too religious. My social anxiety grew (I was afraid to go out becuase of prayer times). Coudn't dress how I wanted. I also delayed my driving test, job prospects, making friends etc because I was focused too much on religion.

I am now less absorbed into religion, and Im sorting my life out. I go out wherever I want and whenever I want, and Im working on regrowing my confidence in society.

Im still religious, but not very religious and absorbed as before.

ReputationRep:
    Being religious can be a disadvantage period.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naveed-7)
    Coudn't dress how I wanted. ..

I am now less absorbed into religion, and Im sorting my life out. I go out wherever I want and whenever I want, and Im working on regrowing my confidence in society.

same
    :headbang:

ReputationRep:
    You make some valid points

ReputationRep:
    True

ReputationRep:
    'Keeping a distance from worldly affairs' doesn't mean 'don't have any friends', 'don't get a job' etc.

It's fine to have all of that, but it's not fine when those things or people take you away from worshipping God.

If you looked into the quote a bit more you would've understood what it meant, and maybe wouldn't have had a misunderstanding

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I disagree.
    I'd rather focus on my religion and know that I'm doing something right with my life i.e. on the 'straight path' as compared to slacking with my religion, and having guilt in my conscience all the time...
    But each to their own

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BristolFresher15)
    Being religious can be a disadvantage period.

This.

ReputationRep:
    Each to there own. Personally I am not religious. It is your choice, it doesn't have any advantages or disadvantages.

ReputationRep:
    It's all about how you balance it. I'd love to be more religious so I'm not so obsessed with "worldly affairs". Religious people seem so much at peace and I envy that. But of course you need to balance it and still live your life too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Samosa)
    It's all about how you balance it. I'd love to be more religious so I'm not so obsessed with "worldly affairs". Religious people seem so much at peace and I envy that. But of course you need to balance it and still live your life too.
    this

ReputationRep:
    Religion is OK for spirituality but once you mix it with politics. we are all basically then all ****ed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    :mwuaha::mwuaha::mwuaha::mwuaha::mwuaha::mwuaha::mwuaha::mwuaha::mwuaha::mwuaha:

Wahabis on TSR be hating on me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    yes, since some book written by humans is cool..

i don't think people who are religious let it influence their outside lives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naveed-7)
    Hi guys.

Just wanted to say that I think being too religious can be a disadvantage.

Previously in my life, I've been very Islamically religious for 3 years. I used to go mosque, and listen to religious people giving lectures and pray etc, etc.

I also used to listen to lectures about how I should "Keep a distance from worldly affairs, and focus mostly on deen (religion)" This put me at a big disadvantage. I lost a lot of confidence in society because I was too religious. My social anxiety grew (I was afraid to go out becuase of prayer times). Coudn't dress how I wanted. I also delayed my driving test, job prospects, making friends etc because I was focused too much on religion.

It seems to me like the only reason you're praying at all is because other people are telling you to. First of all, be true to yourself. In my opinion it is better to pray once or twice a day sincerely than to treat it like an errand and counting for how long you have been very religious for (3 years). Secondly, going to "lectures about religion" is surely an optional thing not a core requirement. Thirdly, it's good that you are enthusiastic, motivated and keen but remember you are also a human being so don't stretch yourself too thin.
    It is the primitive part of our brain and human nature to blame unrelated factors for our weaknesses. It's very good you have identified your flaws but don't blame them on religion otherwise you are painting every religious person with the same paintbrush and adding more unnecessary stigma.

And on a lighter note: 'I can't go out because of prayer times, hahahaha this seriously made me laugh. Prayers don't happen 24/7 throughout the day. It's 5 prayers lasting maybe 10 minutes max(if you were reading it at the pace of a turtle!) = 50 minutes. So you can enjoy the the 23hrs 10 minutes on sleeping, eating, drinking (water of course) and DRIVING etc

Hope all goes well dude!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hxfsxh)
    Personally, I disagree.
    I'd rather focus on my religion and know that I'm doing something right with my life i.e. on the 'straight path' as compared to slacking with my religion, and having guilt in my conscience all the time...
    But each to their own
    How do you know that through religion you are doing something right with your life?

(Original post by Lord Samosa)
    Religious people seem so much at peace and I envy that.
    You state that in general terms, so you must know that 'peace' can be achieved by more than one means.

You don't need to be religious to make a conscious choice not to care about the world. There's a reason why those who advocate hyper-religiosity like to pretend that theirs is the only path to 'peace' -- most of the other examples of the types of people that don't give a hoot about the world would be considered unflattering.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh it's only as disadvantageous as you allow it to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    How do you know that through religion you are doing something right with your life?
    That's just what I believe. My belief gives my living a purpose and if I follow the rules given to me in religious texts etc. then that is what I perceive to be 'right'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hxfsxh)
    That's just what I believe. My belief gives my living a purpose and if I follow the rules given to me in religious texts etc. then that is what I perceive to be 'right'.
    I don't know how people can do that without evaluating those beliefs, but if it makes you happy then fair do's.
    Personally I kind of like that there is no objective purpose to life, makes me feel more free in a weird way.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.