Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which program should I choose: Contemporary art history/Curating/Museum Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I'm in need of some good advice on choosing a program, please help...

So I hope to become a curator someday, yet I studied something unrelated for undergrad, so I need at least a MA degree like art history/curating to prove my academic abilities. I've worked in galleries as intern and admin, but felt like without a proper training/degree, I will not move forward to my desired direction, which is curating...

So I'll get a degree this year and I have two options in UK right now...
    Christie's Modern and Contemporary Art History
    RCA's Curating Contemporary Art

Christie's 9 months program costs about 23,000 tuition while RCA takes 2 years and costs 28,400 x 2...(I'm an international student!!!) Christie's relatively affordable and much easier to graduate, but I have heard that Christie's degrees only work in the commercial realm...and even in there they aren't competitive any more...My friends at White Cube say they receive internship application from Christie's MA graduates all the time and reject most of them and I've done enough internships at galleries already...

However, their courses do look very exciting and fun, much less stressful compared to the serious RCA program (and of course half the price)... but I'm not sure which one has the higher value compared to the cost I need to invest...I cannot help thinking I can get 2 MAs with RCA's program, one christie's and one oxford... but it will take longer than 2 years...

Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CutaorHK)
    Hi all, I'm in need of some good advice on choosing a program, please help...

So I hope to become a curator someday, yet I studied something unrelated for undergrad, so I need at least a MA degree like art history/curating to prove my academic abilities. I've worked in galleries as intern and admin, but felt like without a proper training/degree, I will not move forward to my desired direction, which is curating...

So I'll get a degree this year and I have two options in UK right now...
    Christie's Modern and Contemporary Art History
    RCA's Curating Contemporary Art

Christie's 9 months program costs about 23,000 tuition while RCA takes 2 years and costs 28,400 x 2...(I'm an international student!!!) Christie's relatively affordable and much easier to graduate, but I have heard that Christie's degrees only work in the commercial realm...and even in there they aren't competitive any more...My friends at White Cube say they receive internship application from Christie's MA graduates all the time and reject most of them and I've done enough internships at galleries already...

However, their courses do look very exciting and fun, much less stressful compared to the serious RCA program (and of course half the price)... but I'm not sure which one has the higher value compared to the cost I need to invest...I cannot help thinking I can get 2 MAs with RCA's program, one christie's and one oxford... but it will take longer than 2 years...

Any advice?
    hi, opt for RCA as you need a strong foundation in the subject in order to build a career in it. You are ultimately investing in your future & will reap equivalent benefits.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.