Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I'm currently a second year in uni and I need to choose 3 modules for next year by tomorrow. The thing is, I'm not from here and when I go back home about 95% of potential jobs are corporate - so I'm obviously doing company law for that. Then I'm doing international as it interests me and I find it useful.

However, I need one more option and I am stuck between conflicts of law (which is basically conflicts between two companies/individuals from different countries and so is sort of similar to international) and commercial law. I know commercial is 'useful', BUT I also know it is difficult to do well in and if I'm being honest, I attended the introductory talk for it and wasn't too intrigued by it.

What do you guys think? Honestly I'd rather do conflicts of law, but would future employers be put off if I have both that and international, or if I don't have commercial?

ReputationRep:
    I am not a recruiter nor have I even started my law degree, so take my comment with a grain of salt. But on one hand you have conflict of laws - a class with a) corporate application b) an international dimension c) that meshes well with another class you're taking and d) you have the motivation to take. On the other you have a class with a) corporate application b) that you don't want to take and c) is potentially a GPA drain.

Doesn't seem too hard to hard to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexandraMz)
    Hi everyone! I'm currently a second year in uni and I need to choose 3 modules for next year by tomorrow. The thing is, I'm not from here and when I go back home about 95% of potential jobs are corporate - so I'm obviously doing company law for that. Then I'm doing international as it interests me and I find it useful.

However, I need one more option and I am stuck between conflicts of law (which is basically conflicts between two companies/individuals from different countries and so is sort of similar to international) and commercial law. I know commercial is 'useful', BUT I also know it is difficult to do well in and if I'm being honest, I attended the introductory talk for it and wasn't too intrigued by it.

What do you guys think? Honestly I'd rather do conflicts of law, but would future employers be put off if I have both that and international, or if I don't have commercial?
    It really won't matter, especially given your other choices. Do the module you think you will enjoy the most/do well in. A better grade will be looked at far more closely than the subject matter and your enthusiasm for what you have studied will be more impressive at an interview stage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexandraMz)

Ask other students how they found conflict of laws. I've heard it can be a *****.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, I picked conflict of laws in the end 😊

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.