The Student Room Group

Would you mind your partner having a best friend of the opposite sex

I ask because my best friend of 12 years has told me his girlfriend doesn't like us being friends and therefore we can't. I'm slightly miffed were 24 we've both been single at the same time and nothing has ever happened I have never ever thought of him in that way. I've been with my wonderful boyfriend for 5 years he's invited my friend round his house and tried really hard to get on with him.
I get her having an issue if I was flirting with him if I was dressing up and hanging off his every word or if something had happened but we go to the pub once every 2 weeks for a drink and a catch up and the occasional night out where she is invited. We don't go to each other's houses or spend the day together we don't text constantly only to arrange a drink.
I feel a bit hurt because to me he may aswell be female I don't think of him like that and I'm pretty offended this girl thinks I'm like that.
I won't lie I don't like her she and my friend had an affair for a year whilst she had a boyfriend and she strung the boyfriend along. As somebody who has been cheated on before I despise cheats. I just find it weird to get so funny about a person your partner has been friends with for years my boyfriend has a close female friend and I don't bat an eyelid when they hang out.
Reply 1
no i wouldnt care as long as she dont try to steal my man
Reply 2
i am up for a threesome so i would prefer it..:mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If your best friend lets you down after 12 years of friendship, let's face it... You're probably better off without them.
Reply 5

Original post by iEthan
If your best friend lets you down after 12 years of friendship, let's face it... You're probably better off without them.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't mind but I can see why she feels that way. She's obviously insecure, maybe she's had bd experiences in the past.
Reply 7
Don't drop your friend. Tell him you are concerned that his girlfriend is being controlling, then let him do what he needs to. Love makes you do crazy things, but he will need you when he finally gets out of that slightly-abusive-sounding relationship.
Original post by iEthan

True. If they are going to put their relationship above their friendship then that's their mistake - although, that will cut like a knife since been in your life for so long.. This girl doesn't sound great tbh. Seems like because she has done something wrong in the past, she's worried incase it happens to her

Posted from TSR Mobile
No. It would make me a hypocrite.
Thanks guys im really hurt that he's just ended a friendship especially as they've only been in the relationship for a few weeks (before that she had the boyfriend) I totally get if i was all over him and texting etc but I'm not it is literally a drink once every 2 weeks down the local pub. I would have thought the fact I've got w long term boyfriend would have made her realise I'm not at all interested in my friend.
No. You would be with them because you trusted them and you have to accept them as they are. Would it ever be a cause for concern? It depends, but im secure, so it wuld have to be soemthing pretty big.
Reply 12
My best friend is male, frankly I only have male friends. My boyfriend is fine with that. I wouldn't care if his best friend was female.

Honestly if anyone ever is willing to just drop a friend like that just because their partner told them to, I wouldn't consider them a good friend. You can try talking to him and maybe he can get through to his girlfriend, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Personally I would never let my partner decide who I can and can't be friends with. In general my rule is that if someone gives an ultimatum of "it's either me or them", they are the ones to go.
Reply 13
Depends if they are friends or 'friends' - 'friends' are people that come after who literally only have an interest in banging her and she's known for like 3 days. Friends as in people she's known before me who have her best interests at heart? Sure. At the end of the day it's completely her choice and I wouldn't want to control that, but I would be annoyed if she had these 'friends' for other reasons (like simply to try make me jealous when we argue).
I wouldn't mind at all. Only insecure people would.
No I wouldn't mind. About 99% of any of the close friends I've ever had were guys and even now, my best friend is a guy and it would be hypocritical of me to unhappy if my boyfriend's best friend was of the opposite sex. I would be expecting him to be fine with me having guy friends too. Its got to work both ways.
Original post by mkap
no i wouldnt care as long as she dont try to steal my man

[video="youtube;qGEubdH8m0s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGEubdH8m0s[/video]
no i wouldnt mind at all even if it would make a hypocrite if i did, some of my closest friends are female anyway.
Yes i would mind because eventually you'll want to get out of the friendzone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending