The Student Room Group

Best Unis for MFL?

Wanting to potentially study MFL as a precursor to joining the forces as an interpreter. I am wanting to stay in the Midlands or North, so have picked (In order) Leicester, Birmingham, Nottingham, York and Sheffield. Was interested in Leicester due to the option to also study translation. Any other suggestions? Anyone able to confirm these are a good choice given my criteria?
They're all good universities, but as you have a very specific career in mind, why not pop down to your local army recruitment centre and see what they say? It may be that they don't care which one you go to.

Of more relevance would be which languages you study - what's currently in demand, and what might be in demand in the future? I'm under the impression that a lot of their interpreters are actually locals - it's worth checking.

You might want to have a look at whether each uni/city has an Officer Training Corp too, which would be of relevance to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PalindromeGirl
Wanting to potentially study MFL as a precursor to joining the forces as an interpreter. I am wanting to stay in the Midlands or North, so have picked (In order) Leicester, Birmingham, Nottingham, York and Sheffield. Was interested in Leicester due to the option to also study translation. Any other suggestions? Anyone able to confirm these are a good choice given my criteria?

Depending on your grades Durham would be a good option. Also Lancaster, Manchester and Warwick if those are not too far
Original post by swanseajack1
Depending on your grades Durham would be a good option. Also Lancaster, Manchester and Warwick if those are not too far

Cheers, will look at those :smile: hated Manchester so ruled that one out
Original post by Origami Bullets
They're all good universities, but as you have a very specific career in mind, why not pop down to your local army recruitment centre and see what they say? It may be that they don't care which one you go to.

Of more relevance would be which languages you study - what's currently in demand, and what might be in demand in the future? I'm under the impression that a lot of their interpreters are actually locals - it's worth checking.

You might want to have a look at whether each uni/city has an Officer Training Corp too, which would be of relevance to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah cheers, good plan. Yeah that would be useful but its just a bonus really. I've been in cadets 4-5 years already, hence the enthusiasm for joining up
I don't know why you hated Manchester but suspect it may have been the fact it was a city uni. If that was the case have you checked out the others. Also then think about smaller environments like Durham, Lancaster and York

Quick Reply

Latest