Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As a future applicant that wants to get in to a top university studying Computer Science, what would you recommend to do outside of getting great marks?

I would like to add some extra-curricular activities to highlight in my future application that would catch the admission team's eyes, and not only improve my chances of getting accepted, but to also prepare me more and make me more aware of what the subject is all about.

I'm from Scotland and I am planning on applying in 2 years (I have my Highers next year and I want to have my Advanced Highers as well before applying).

Thank you in advance for your attention!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoBos)
    As a future applicant that wants to get in to a top university studying Computer Science, what would you recommend to do outside of getting great marks?

I would like to add some extra-curricular activities to highlight in my future application that would catch the admission team's eyes, and not only improve my chances of getting accepted, but to also prepare me more and make me more aware of what the subject is all about.

I'm from Scotland and I am planning on applying in 2 years (I have my Highers next year and I want to have my Advanced Highers as well before applying).

Learn programming languages such as C++,Java & Python.Also start doing some web designing with PHP,CSS,JavaScript and maybe even Joomla.Also most universities want you to have a good score in maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by LoBos)

Try to expose yourself to some programming (not that it's a requirement) it could serve as a talking point on your personal statement. Build a project or two etc

Read around computer science! There's the Turing Omnibus and 'Code' books that are pretty fascinating reads.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    the Turing Omnibus
    Hmm, that book is one reason my son decided to apply for Engineering instead of CompSci
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by jneill)
    Hmm, that book is one reason my son decided to apply for Engineering instead of CompSci
    LOOOL, how come?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    LOOOL, how come?!
    He basically found it boring! And I think the writing style is a bit idiosyncratic.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh getting good marks is all you need. And you DO need them. I had essentially no ECs and got top offers for CS, with strong grades. I'd try learning a programming language anyway though, to get a feel for it as you'll have to do a reasonable amount at uni and try various coding problems to get your mindset right (project euler is recommended a lot?)

ReputationRep:
    Hi there I'm currently a final year student doing my dissertation on women in the computing industry and whether changing the curriculum from ICT to Computing would encourage more females into the industry and I would really appreciate it if you could take a couple of minutes to complete this questionnaire for me! Thank you in advance I'll be happy to one in return ) https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1o56...ewform?c=0&w=1

ReputationRep:
    Further maths is really good for top top unis! My biggest regret is doing physics instead of further maths even though I hate physics because I didn't think I was good enough for fm. I applied to Oxford for CS and although my predicted grades (A*A*A*)/personal statement was strong I think you have to be exceptional to get in without fm (I'm not). Extra-curricular activities could be trying to do some programming and create some projects or do some challenges to get you going. Also, read some books about areas of CS that you find interesting. Computational Fairy Tales is a nice lighthearted intro but I found the new Turing Omnibus very heavy and boring unless it was a chapter on an area that I like.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.