The Student Room Group

What are the disadvantages of studying at Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Colmans
Curiously I can remember that the year I graduated Cambridge Economics had the highest starting salary of any degree. Don't know exactly why it stuck in my mind so clearly.......

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ha. But what were the starting salaries per degree class...?

According to a study of LSE outcomes a 1st earns 3% more than a 2:1, and 2:1 earns 7% more than a 2:2.

http://www.res.org.uk/view/art4jul13features.html
Reply 21
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I definitely don't think employers will view it that way. A 2ii, even from Cambridge, will look bad. I think that's very unfair, since I think the vast majority of Cambridge students would be getting a First at most other universities (even those getting a 2ii at Cambridge), but employers will certainly not look kindly upon a 2ii from Cambridge.

It is extremely common for employers to use a 2:1 as the filter when recruiting solely to reduce the pile of applicants. So a 2:2 from any university including Oxbridge will not get past HR, this is fact. If a job advert States 2:1 or above, (which many will) they are not legally allowed to positively discriminate just because the degree is from Cambridge/LSE etc.

I do not agree with the statement that a 2:1 from Cambridge would be 1st in any other university. Of course Cambridge is a good uni but to infer all other unis are less academic is rather unfair. One would need to have actually studied at several universities to be able to make such a statement. Go where you will be most happy and where the degree content most suits your requirements. Best advice I can give as someone who has recently gone through the UCAS process - will ALL universities look beneath the Brand/Marketing and get to the core of what is on offer!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending