Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I've got an algebra investigation to do and as I'm taught by power point presentations I completely don't understand what the question is about...

I have to use algebra to extend the model for the growth of bacteria colonies ( each bacterium divides into two every minute).
    You could investigate:
    a) The relationship between the number of bacteria and the size of the colony

b) Different rates of replication

c) Colonies of different sizes at the start

d) Effect of growth limiting factors (such as build-up of waste products, competition for space)

Explain all the steps of your analysis and state any assumptions you make in constructing your model. Give references for any data you use.

Is there anyone who can explain it to me so I know what to do please?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ucina)
    a) The relationship between the number of bacteria and the size of the colony
    You think about it. If you have 2 bacteria how many will there be in the next minute, and the next, and the next?

What happens if we change this to 5 bacteria, how many will there be in the next minute and the next, and the next?

What about 10?

Can you notice any distinct patterns? What about N bacteria?

ReputationRep:
    Seems like I have to go back to primary school
    I get the pattern,I guess... Bacteria double every minute,yes? I don't know how to write it down, I really don't know...

Math's ruining my life for the N time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ucina)
    Seems like I have to go back to primary school
    I get the pattern,I guess... Bacteria double every minute,yes? I don't know how to write it down, I really don't know...

Math's ruining my life for the N time.
    What sequence does 2^n generate? :-)

ReputationRep:
    n = number of bacteria
    2^n = size of the colony
    mb xD

ReputationRep:
    Extend the model one step at a time. Think about what would happen if the colony triples in size every minute or more generally is multiplied by A every minute.
    Think about what would happen if you started with a different number of bacteria.
    Look at the differential equation and try adding a term.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.