Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Want to start playing rugby again - advice please Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello all, I had to stop playing rugby a couple of years ago due to other commitments but with uni hopefully on the horizon I'm hoping to get back playing again.

I'm 18 next week, 5 foot 8 inches tall and weigh just less than 12 stone. I'm not particularly quick but have decent pace. My main strengths are probably my passing and kicking and enjoyed organising the team. My main weakness is probably my defence but I've had experience at 9, 10 and 15 in the past.

Obviously it's tough to say but based on physique and skill set where do you guys think would be the best position for me now, and what sort of training would you recommend? Thanks for reading and any answers would be greatly appreciated.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    9, 15 or wing probably.

I restarted playing this year at 6 and 7. It's quite the shock to the system
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I dream of playing again :moon: I was a utility pack player but mostly played at 5. I wouldn't last 5 minutes with my current fitness though.

The best thing to do is find your local club and go along to one of their training sessions for one of their bottom teams (though obviously contact them first to say you're coming). They will soon work out what position you are best suited to.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice.

I enjoyed playing 15 so would welcome playing there again. What sort of training (weights/cardio/skills) would you recommend? Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.