Plans for A level results before Uni applications Watch

This discussion is closed.
bloodhound
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
i think thats quite a good idea. when i used to study in nepal that was the usual process. the problem with this plan is that there is not enough time for unis to process all the applications. so either the terms have to get smaller which is harder for students and teacher. so either way studenst will have a hard time.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bloodhound)
i think thats quite a good idea. when i used to study in nepal that was the usual process. the problem with this plan is that there is not enough time for unis to process all the applications. so either the terms have to get smaller which is harder for students and teacher. so either way studenst will have a hard time.

I think it would be useful if you were able to have you results before you apply to University. This would mean that you could apply to a more specific range of Universities and thus get into the best one that you possibly can, rather than having to pick some from the upper rankings, some that you think are very realistic and some just in case you have a shocker in the exams (although clearing helps).

The only obvious draw back is (as you say) the problems with the administrative side of it, given such a small time frame.
Unregistere
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
hey my last post was funny. it was flaming somone. it wasnt rude. there was no swearing. seems like the whole board is againt me.

I found it offensive - Leekey
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bloodhound)
I thought you were banned?

Ah well, anyway - I think it's an excellent idea. Most of the time, teachers are wrong. They wither underestimate people or overestimate them, and it's because of the bad decisions these teachers make, students suffer.
Sarco
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What about universities that wanted to interview candidates? A lot of places are given not just on exam results alone but require interviews. Would applying after receiving results would make this tricky?
Toyosi
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I don't see any reason why they can't still interview you before offering you a place. Would it make that much difference though. At first I liked the idea but then I thought wouldn't you have already researched uni's anyway and have some hopes as to which one you want to go to. Even if I hadn't applyed yet I'd still wanna go to UCL, I'd still know I'd need AAA to even stand a chance, so how is it any less stressful. Plus it would put a lot of pressure of unis to get everything done in such a short amount of time. First you have to apply and I don't know about everyone else but my ucas form wasn't done in a day. Then uni have to read all of them and offer places. Then you need to think about finances and accomodation. How could you do all this in the month between results coming out and term starting. It's impossible. The term would have to start months later hence throwing the whole school system into confusion and leaving people with not much to do for ages while their application was being processed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
and what would happen to UCAS? They're a business remember, so university entrance exams could make them obsolete.
Sarco
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Toyosi)
How could you do all this in the month between results coming out and term starting. It's impossible.
Maybe the results would come out sooner. That would help everyone. As for UCAS, you'd still need a company to apply through to universities so UCAS would probably have to adapt to the new system. It seems that we always need to have a radical change to improve things instead of revamping the current system.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Would people object to taking exams as early as april? I think it was just mean that people would waste time in the winter months if they know exams are in April.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
That was a good point about Ucas been made redundant possibly if everyone applied post A-level results. I know that many students would welcome the opportunity to work before starting uni in January but what of those who don't/can't? They would have from May/June until January to do nothing and in subjects like Maths a long break like that would result in skills being lost and becoming very 'rusty'.
Any solutions?
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (204)
12.73%
Excited (139)
8.67%
Worried (291)
18.15%
Terrified (364)
22.71%
Meh (144)
8.98%
Confused (35)
2.18%