Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    He could be the no 1 drinker here, you are right. I would like to point at that it was me who created the thread so I have a responsibility to make sure certain comments are not inappropriate.
    Your not CT or a mod .. you don't have the right to tell people what to post in this thread
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    hazzer1998 Quamquam123 Now would be a good time to remember that you're both in the same party. Perhaps it would be a good idea to forgive and forget and try to not upset one another again. I know all three of us really want this to succeed, and that isn't going to happen if we're creating personal divisions so early on. Think of one another as comrades in the fight against European dictatorship
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I echo cranbrook_aspie. I don't want to whip out the purple writing on behalf of adam9317.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    hazzer1998 Quamquam123 Now would be a good time to remember that you're both in the same party. Perhaps it would be a good idea to forgive and forget and try to not upset one another again. I know all three of us really want this to succeed, and that isn't going to happen if we're creating personal divisions so early on. Think of one another as comrades in the fight against European dictatorship
    As i said in the commons bar a few moments ago yep i'm happy to let .... i'm tired and i'm not in the best of moods :laugh:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Right, clearly the message in the MHoC bar wasn't heard. The current attitude in the bar is hostile and if members cannot be constructive and considerate towards one another, I will have to speak to the CT.

I have repeatedly asked members to move on and I would reiterate what Adam and Cranbrook have said. If the MEU is to succeed, you want to portray an environment that is friendly and welcoming. Having members constantly accusing and attacking each other only serves to damage the chances this place has to attract interested members. The past is the past. Don't dwell on it and look forward.

Consequently, I want to remind members that the responsibility of the moderation of this thread and this subforum lies with the CT and the ST. If members are unhappy with a post, there is the report function if you are discontent or offended by a post and we actively monitor threads to ensure the rules are followed. Members here should not be making decisions as to whether a post should be permitted.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by The Financier)
    Right, clearly the message in the MHoC bar wasn't heard. The current attitude in the bar is hostile and if members cannot be constructive and considerate towards one another, I will have to speak to the CT.

I have repeatedly asked members to move on and I would reiterate what Adam and Cranbrook have said. If the MEU is to succeed, you want to portray an environment that is friendly and welcoming. Having members constantly accusing and attacking each other only serves to damage the chances this place has to attract interested members. The past is the past. Don't dwell on it and look forward.

Consequently, I want to remind members that the responsibility of the moderation of this thread and this subforum lies with the CT and the ST. If members are unhappy with a post, there is the report function if you are discontent or offended by a post and we actively monitor threads to ensure the rules are followed. Members here should not be making decisions as to whether a post should be permitted.
    :congrats:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    I echo cranbrook_aspie. I don't want to whip out the purple writing on behalf of adam9317.
    Thank you Airmed

(Original post by The Financier)

Thank you my friend for dishing this out. I was away all afternoon; but had I of been here, I would have dished out similar purple writing

Please keep things constructive in here guys, keep it a happy and enjoyable place, where people want to join, engage and debate- Lets make this MEU a great place!

If people are going to act to the contrary and demean this MEU, I have no issue in excluding them from proceedings. Keep it friendly

I would also like to remind all members that only the CT and SL have the power over this thread, no one else!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I will try and kick off the first discussion in the bar - do you believe that Turkey should be allowed to become a member of the EU?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    I will try and kick off the first discussion in the bar - do you believe that Turkey should be allowed to become a member of the EU?
    No. Firstly, 95% of Turkey isn't in Europe. Secondly, there is the immigration issue - parts of Turkey are effectively in the Third World and thousands of migrants would undoubtedly come to countries like this one to work. The problem is that they would work for less than the minimum wage because that would still be more than they'd get in Turkey, thereby putting pressure on existing workers to also work for less than the minimum wage. Thirdly, Turkey's own government is oppressive enough and it would be cruel to allow yet more undemocratic oppression of the Turkish people to take place.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    No. Firstly, 95% of Turkey isn't in Europe. Secondly, there is the immigration issue - parts of Turkey are effectively in the Third World and thousands of migrants would undoubtedly come to countries like this one to work. The problem is that they would work for less than the minimum wage because that would still be more than they'd get in Turkey, thereby putting pressure on existing workers to also work for less than the minimum wage. Thirdly, Turkey's own government is oppressive enough and it would be cruel to allow yet more undemocratic oppression of the Turkish people to take place.
    PROSM. The country certainly needs to develop much further in order for it to even be considered for EU membership. Unfortunately, it looks increasingly more likely that it will indeed become a member. I try to keep an open mind on the immigration issue but sometimes you have to be practical. Our country is struggling to cope with the amount of people that are currently crammed into it. If we accept even more immigrants, there could be several major impacts, one of which could be the collapse of the NHS.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    No.

We can introduce agreements such as the one that has recently been put in place, but if I were PM (the actual RL one) I would be vetoing their application. (I'd expect the Greeks and the Cypriots to do so anyway over the Northern Cyprus issue though.)

ReputationRep:
    I believe that Turkey should be permitted to join the EU if and when it meets the conditions set for other potential Member States joining the EU (it currently fails, if I remember correctly, on democratic and fundamental rights standards). I don't see a good reason why the European Union ought to be limited solely to European states: in fact, I'd like to see Australia, New Zealand and Canada join the Union.

However, as things stand, and on the current proposals, I would oppose Turkey's accession.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    I believe that Turkey should be permitted to join the EU if and when it meets the conditions set for other potential Member States joining the EU (it currently fails, if I remember correctly, on democratic and fundamental rights standards). I don't see a good reason why the European Union ought to be limited solely to European states: in fact, I'd like to see Australia, New Zealand and Canada join the Union.

However, as things stand, and on the current proposals, I would oppose Turkey's accession.
    It's kinda in the name... and last I checked Canada, Australia and the Kiwis liked their independence, or at least 115-34 years ago they did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    It's kinda in the name... and last I checked Canada, Australia and the Kiwis liked their independence, or at least 115-34 years ago they did.
    Australia participated in Eurovision. Turkey plays in the European Cup. The name is irrelevant. Independence and sovereignty are entirely unaffected by EU membership.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Australia participated in Eurovision. Turkey plays in the European Cup. The name is irrelevant. Independence and sovereignty are entirely unaffected by EU membership.
    Turkey does have that tiny little bit on Europe, and Australia was allowed in as a one off for the anniversary because it's actually popular there, Israel would have been the better example. And what definition of sovereignty are you using if membership of the EU does not have any impact on it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Turkey does have that tiny little bit on Europe, and Australia was allowed in as a one off for the anniversary because it's actually popular there, Israel would have been the better example. And what definition of sovereignty are you using if membership of the EU does not have any impact on it...
    Sovereignty in that any member state can unilaterally leave the EU at any point. Is sovereignty affected by the fact that Parliament cannot legislate to outlaw skateboarding in Spain? Moreover, is it affected by the existence of the Scottish Parliament and the Welsh Assembly? Both of those are akin to the EU in their impact on Parliament.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Any updates adam9317 ?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I had a feeling this would fail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Any updates adam9317 ?
    Private sub forums/ user groups is the main issue ATM, and I am awaiting to hear back from Pickles. I sent him a message on Thursday, and I hadn't heard back this morning, so I sent another message
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    I had a feeling this would fail
    It would be good if it could get off the ground though.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.