• Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    I've been meaning to write a draft constitution for about a week FWIW, it's just that The Witcher 3 has been getting in the way.
    Odd as it seems, I agree with JD - why are you wasting time drafting a document which may not be used? If the MEU isn't going to get off the ground, then there's little point drafting a Constitution and moreover, it's hardly going to attract new members. Why not just open debates on general motions i.e. the EU thinks that Britain should remain in the MEU? I still think that a vote to shut the MEU down is the best course of action, but I admire your tenacity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Odd as it seems, I agree with JD - why are you wasting time drafting a document which may not be used? If the MEU isn't going to get off the ground, then there's little point drafting a Constitution and moreover, it's hardly going to attract new members. Why not just open debates on general motions i.e. the EU thinks that Britain should remain in the MEU? I still think that a vote to shut the MEU down is the best course of action, but I admire your tenacity.
    Because the MEU needs to get started before we can reasonably consider shutting it down. Plus, drafting a constitution is a pretty simple task, I can just borrow the MHoC C/GD, amend the procedures/terminology to fit, get rid of the *****y bits and use that as a draft.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Something is wrong with your head if agreeing with me is an oddity

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Queen Cersei I hope you enjoyed your holiday.

I have told these guys that I have stepped down from my MEU capacity, but will remain moderating until a successor is appointed. Just wondering what your thoughts are on getting someone new for this place?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    Queen Cersei I hope you enjoyed your holiday.

I have told these guys that I have stepped down from my MEU capacity, but will remain moderating until a successor is appointed. Just wondering what your thoughts are on getting someone new for this place?

Thanks
    Hey!

I hope you're all good

I will whack the word around in N,H&FB and pop up an announcement and see if anyone is interested!
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    Hey!

I hope you're all good

I will whack the word around in N,H&FB and pop up an announcement and see if anyone is interested!
    With respect, might it be worth seeing if this project is actually viable before seeking to recruit someone? I mean, at the moment, there are probably a handful of active users and there's been no appetite for this thus far. I'm wondering whether instead of opening up something which may fold very quickly due to lack of interest, it's worth locking this forum and archiving it as a record of the Model UN.

ReputationRep:
    With respect, might it be worth seeing if this project is actually viable before seeking to recruit someone? I mean, at the moment, there are probably a handful of active users and there's been no appetite for this thus far. I'm wondering whether instead of opening up something which may fold very quickly due to lack of interest, it's worth locking this forum and archiving it as a record of the Model UN.
    Sounds sensible, would you be up for running a vote maybe with a poll and we can see what the consensus is?
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    Sounds sensible, would you be up for running a vote maybe with a poll and we can see what the consensus is?
    I'd be fine with that - could I have MUN usergroup controls please or a list of members in the usergroup so that I can contact them all about the poll?

ReputationRep:
    I know many people in my party (the EFDD) and people from other parties who want to be active members of the MEU, but there has not been any election. If there is no election, there are no MEPs, so there is not much for us to do and there is no incentive for those who want to take part to stay here. Running an election would boost activity, as it would encourage parties to write manifestos and debate, and when MEPs are elected, they can debate and vote on legislation. We have not even taken the first step of running an election, so it is simply too early to say that there is no hope for this place.

I had thought that the committee responsible for developing the MEU was still making decisions, so I waited. I also thought that there were still discussions with the CT as to how there are going to be private forums for the parties. In that period of time, I did not check this place much, as I had thought we were waiting for those responsible for this place to sort things out. It was only until a few days ago that suggestions were raised that this place should close, so I have come here to make my case against closing the MEU. The MEU has great potential, and it would be a shame to see the MEU close (as ironic as that is given that I am opposed to the EU).

I understand that the CT is unwilling to create new usergroups for the European parties and that the CT is unable to create private forums for certain members without creating usergroups. In that case, I think party members should communicate off-site (on platforms such as Skype, which many MHoC members already use) for internal party discussions.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be fine with that - could I have MUN usergroup controls please or a list of members in the usergroup so that I can contact them all about the poll?
    Those in the MUN user group are not those who recently joined the MEU.

I believe anyone who has shown interest in the MEU in say the last 6 months, hasn't been added to the MUN usergroup!
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    Those in the MUN user group are not those who recently joined the MEU.

I believe anyone who has shown interest in the MEU in say the last 6 months, hasn't been added to the MUN usergroup!
    I'll need a list of those individuals - would they be in Quamquam's PM? Could you also PM me the MUN usergroup list as well as they may be interested, but not aware of the changes since this forum has not been active for some time.

ReputationRep:
    I'll need a list of those individuals - would they be in Quamquam's PM? Could you also PM me the MUN usergroup list as well as they may be interested, but not aware of the changes since this forum has not been active for some time.
    I unfortunately never got MUN user group controls; so I don't have a list; Queen Cersei might

ReputationRep:
    Tagging in some MEU people.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'd prefer we actually do something with the MEU and realise it's a rubbish idea and shut it down than give up hope straightaway.

• Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    I unfortunately never got MUN user group controls; so I don't have a list; Queen Cersei might
    Could you help with providing an MUN usergroup member list please? I see that you are still listed as a group leader.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Just to let you know, not all the people I sent the message to want to join the MEU.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    I'd prefer we actually do something with the MEU and realise it's a rubbish idea and shut it down than give up hope straightaway.

With a good and efficient person in charge, it has the potential to work.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Just to let you know, not all the people I sent the message to want to join the MEU.
    Ok, I will take UU's list with the MUN usergroup list plus those you PM'd to ensure that as many people as possible who can vote do.

JD for example is someone who would probably be interested I'd imagine in this vote given that he has posted here.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Ok, I will take UU's list with the MUN usergroup list plus those you PM'd to ensure that as many people as possible who can vote do.

JD for example is someone who would probably be interested I'd imagine in this vote given that he has posted here.
    Just as a warning, Meenu and LP in particular don't want to get involved. You could try all the others though.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Just as a warning, Meenu and LP in particular don't want to get involved. You could try all the others though.
    I am sure that they won't mind me sending them one PM - both were very active during their time in the MUN and so I think have the right to be consulted.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.