Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by toronto353)
    I am sure that they won't mind me sending them one PM - both were very active during their time in the MUN and so I think have the right to be consulted.
    Fair enough. Prepare yourself for a grumpy response from them though.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Fair enough. Prepare yourself for a grumpy response from them though.
    I've known both long enough I don't think that a PM from me on this subject will elicit the response from them that it did when it was sent by you, no offence
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by toronto353)
    I've known both long enough I don't think that a PM from me on this subject will elicit the response from them that it did when it was sent by you, no offence
    Yes, I don't think they are my greatest fans.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm happy to run things ?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Queen Cersei - are the following user groups necessary?

- Arsenal FC Supporter
    - Aston Villa FC Supporter
    - Manchester United FC Supporter
    - Security Council
    - Political Ambassador

Also, will the UN user group be renamed the MEU?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Queen Cersei - are the following user groups necessary?

- Arsenal FC Supporter
    - Aston Villa FC Supporter
    - Manchester United FC Supporter
    - Security Council
    - Political Ambassador

Also, will the UN user group be renamed the MEU?
    Security Council presumably not, unless it's going to be fashioned into an MEU division lobby.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Just to say, I'm active and keen to get this thing running. However, I personally believe we have to do two things before this gets anywhere near off the ground.

1. Merge Parties. We're starting from Scratch here so it'd make sense to have a Pro-European Party, a Reformist Party and a Eurosceptic/Europhobic Party.

2. Private Subforums for these three parties. If I'm correct Queen Cersei, it's possible to add members to a sub forum as individuals rather than needing a usergroup. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

Other pointers would of course be generating debate on issues (like I have with the Turkey proposition), electing a President who can oversee setting up the MEU before running a second election for President once it's up and running and also to update interested people in how we're getting on.

A constitution is also necessary. adam9317, I personally believe it's ready to be posted here and talked about/debated.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Just to say, I'm active and keen to get this thing running. However, I personally believe we have to do two things before this gets anywhere near off the ground.

1. Merge Parties. We're starting from Scratch here so it'd make sense to have a Pro-European Party, a Reformist Party and a Eurosceptic/Europhobic Party.

2. Private Subforums for these three parties. If I'm correct Queen Cersei, it's possible to add members to a sub forum as individuals rather than needing a usergroup. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

Other pointers would of course be generating debate on issues (like I have with the Turkey proposition), electing a President who can oversee setting up the MEU before running a second election for President once it's up and running and also to update interested people in how we're getting on.

A constitution is also necessary. adam9317, I personally believe it's ready to be posted here and talked about/debated.
    Hear, hear. There are far too many parties at the moment. More can be created if it is really necessary. I really don't see why the user groups I highlighted can't be removed and replaced with just these three. I do think there should be some sort of council to initially get the MEU up and running though - I think it's too much for just one person to do.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Hear, hear. There are far too many parties at the moment. More can be created if it is really necessary. I really don't see why the user groups I highlighted can't be removed and replaced with just these three. I do think there should be some sort of council to initially get the MEU up and running though - I think it's too much for just one person to do.
    I agree with the sentiment but I really have to question whether that is the best split. We won't be debating the existence of the EU here, we'll be debating things for the EU to intervene on presumably. It would not be constructive to have a party that will object to all EU intervention.

We should split parties left/right/centre IMO.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    I agree with the sentiment but I really have to question whether that is the best split. We won't be debating the existence of the EU here, we'll be debating things for the EU to intervene on presumably. It would not be constructive to have a party that will object to all EU intervention.

I think that an intergrationalist and disintegrationanist party, respectively should also exist. Because the future of the EU should be discussed.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    I think that an intergrationalist and disintegrationanist party, respectively should also exist. Because the future of the EU should be discussed.
    They de facto do

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

+1.

Debating the existence is utterly pointless. We should simply model this on MHoC, but with the EU (including area, competencies) as the basis. Not sure whether we should be able to change the text of the Treaties - I'm inclined towards no.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Not sure whether we should be able to change the text of the Treaties - I'm inclined towards no.
    Perhaps with MHoC approval?

Not a project for the short-term though.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps with MHoC approval?

Not a project for the short-term though.
    I'm inclined to say not at all. I don't see how we can change the Treaties without risking loss of all realism.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    They de facto do

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If by that you mean that the right want out and left want in you are definitely wrong.
    From what I can see the extremists want out and the centerist want in, in broad terms.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    If by that you mean that the right want out and left want in you are definitely wrong.
    From what I can see the extremists want out and the centerist want in, in broad terms.
    EFDD are your outers, ECR are your reformers and maintain the status who, you get your integration with S&D and EPP, and heavier with ADLE if their leadership is anything to go by; not so sure about the harder left.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm inclined to say not at all. I don't see how we can change the Treaties without risking loss of all realism.
    Given the days of treaty change are behind us it certain would lose realism

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Given the days of treaty change are behind us it certain would lose realism

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I mean, you know the most recent Treaty change was only 7 years ago, right?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I mean, you know the most recent Treaty change was only 7 years ago, right?
    You know one was expected around about now only a few years ago, and there is no sign of it, why go for treaty change when you can use loopholes or simple ignorance of the rules to keep the populace ignorant?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You know one was expected around about now only a few years ago, and there is no sign of it, why go for treaty change when you can use loopholes or simple ignorance of the rules to keep the populace ignorant?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why was more Treaty change expected? I heard nothing of the kind.

Unless you mean Cameron's batshit goal to exclude the UK from all the things which make the EU great.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.