Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    No it doesn't.
    I've got to be honest and say you really aren't the most active member of the MHoC.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I've got to be honest and say you really aren't the most active member of the MHoC.
    I never claimed to be super active, but I'm hardly inactive as was suggested. I post 4 or 5 times a week and read most bills. If the MEU had that kind of activity it would be in much better shape.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I never claimed to be super active, but I'm hardly inactive as was suggested. I post 4 or 5 times a week and read most bills. If the MEU had that kind of activity it would be in much better shape.
    I think by setting deadlines in the MEU, we will start to get the project going and hopefully we can get lots of people involved.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I think by setting deadlines in the MEU, we will start to get the project going and hopefully we can get lots of people involved.
    Heard that before. It's been over a year, if it was going to become active it would have happened already.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Heard that before. It's been over a year, if it was going to become active it would have happened already.
    I don't believe that is the case. The MEU hasn't even been officially opened yet because of the subforum situation. However, I think we just need to press on now otherwise it will never happen.

ReputationRep:
    Queen Cersei - are the following user groups necessary?

- Arsenal FC Supporter
    - Aston Villa FC Supporter
    - Manchester United FC Supporter
    - Security Council
    - Political Ambassador

Also, will the UN user group be renamed the MEU?
    Hey QQ,

That's a very good shout and I did try to remove these previously when we ran into problems setting up usergroups for the MEU, however, as our AdminCP is so complicated deleting these usergroups might have a knock on effect on the permissions of all the people within them and it's something I would have to run past tech- I heard our community editor talking about sorting it the other day so I will see if something is happening.

With the usergroup stuff I did previously suggest a workaround whereby I can create private forums and just manually add access to those who need it so usergroups aren't required? I actually thought this had already happened (I think Pickles did it a few months back) so I am a bit confused

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    I'd be fine with that - could I have MUN usergroup controls please or a list of members in the usergroup so that I can contact them all about the poll?
    Sorry for the delay- I didn't get any of the tags from this thread

ReputationRep:
    Queen Cersei - are the following user groups necessary?

- Arsenal FC Supporter
    - Aston Villa FC Supporter
    - Manchester United FC Supporter
    - Security Council
    - Political Ambassador

Also, will the UN user group be renamed the MEU?
    I just changed this for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Just to say, I'm active and keen to get this thing running. However, I personally believe we have to do two things before this gets anywhere near off the ground.

1. Merge Parties. We're starting from Scratch here so it'd make sense to have a Pro-European Party, a Reformist Party and a Eurosceptic/Europhobic Party.

2. Private Subforums for these three parties. If I'm correct Queen Cersei, it's possible to add members to a sub forum as individuals rather than needing a usergroup. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

Other pointers would of course be generating debate on issues (like I have with the Turkey proposition), electing a President who can oversee setting up the MEU before running a second election for President once it's up and running and also to update interested people in how we're getting on.

A constitution is also necessary. adam9317, I personally believe it's ready to be posted here and talked about/debated.
    You are completely right about this and I thought it had been sorted a few months ago so I apologise for this delay and if you guys decide to crack on with the MEU I will chase this up.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    You are completely right about this and I thought it had been sorted a few months ago so I apologise for this delay and if you guys decide to crack on with the MEU I will chase this up.
    I'm curious, is there an official TSR position on the MEU? It takes up ST and CT time, what do you think minimum number of active members should be to justify that time?

ReputationRep:
    I'm curious, is there an official TSR position on the MEU? It takes up ST and CT time, what do you think minimum number of active members should be to justify that time?
    There's no official position on it- I'm the community manager for this area so it would really sit with me and I just want to do whatever the MEU community wants to do- if they want to make it work then count me in and I will do whatever I can to help!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Hey QQ,

That's a very good shout and I did try to remove these previously when we ran into problems setting up usergroups for the MEU, however, as our AdminCP is so complicated deleting these usergroups might have a knock on effect on the permissions of all the people within them and it's something I would have to run past tech- I heard our community editor talking about sorting it the other day so I will see if something is happening.

With the usergroup stuff I did previously suggest a workaround whereby I can create private forums and just manually add access to those who need it so usergroups aren't required? I actually thought this had already happened (I think Pickles did it a few months back) so I am a bit confused
    Hopefully we can get technology on our side soon.

Adam (the former MEU leader) didn't seem to think this had happened. Perhaps Pickles could double check?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I believe there are definitely enough people interested in the MEU for it to succeed. Over 25 people are party members and more will sign up if the MEU project gets going. I think we should start the preparations now.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    There's no official position on it- I'm the community manager for this area so it would really sit with me and I just want to do whatever the MEU community wants to do- if they want to make it work then count me in and I will do whatever I can to help!
    Hmm, I see. I was going to suggest a TSR council with elected members from each section as an alternative to the MEU. That probably sounds weird, but I think it would be interesting to combine the political processes of the MHoC/MEU (manifestos, elections etc) but make them relevant to all TSR users; e.g. instead of debating EU fishing policy, we could debate the sizes of avatars or the introduction of new emojis. Just an idea, but I think it'd engage the wider community and would be a better use of a subforum than the MEU. :dontknow:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Hey QQ,

Surely this is just yet more evidence that the site is absolutely awfully written and needs a total revamp rather than having the team waste their time on the usual crap that nobody actually wants. If it is written so bad more UGs slow the site down an unacceptable amount, and that UGs can't be removed for fear of breaking something, there is something seriously wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Surely this is just yet more evidence that the site is absolutely awfully written and needs a total revamp rather than having the team waste their time on the usual crap that nobody actually wants. If it is written so bad more UGs slow the site down an unacceptable amount, and that UGs can't be removed for fear of breaking something, there is something seriously wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think you're being flippant. I understand what you are saying but you really are being very aggressive.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I think you're being flippant. I understand what you are saying but you really are being very aggressive.
    When was the last time you noticed an update and thought "yeah, this is a good idea?" What is being done is like is putting a spoiler and a new paint job on your car when it needs a new chassis. Maybe not the best of analogies when these days cars don't really have a distinct chassis, bit that's the problem none the less.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey,

It's not about how the site is written, it is part of admincp which is something a lot of forums use. More usergroups don't slow the site down it just creates problems and extra work load for the dev team every time a new release happens so we can only really add essentials.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Hey,

It's not about how the site is written, it is part of admincp which is something a lot of forums use. More usergroups don't slow the site down it just creates problems and extra work load for the dev team every time a new release happens so we can only really add essentials.
    i.e. we've been lied to for the last however many years
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    Voting has now begun on the future of this subforum

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.