Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    First of all I will give some information about me and my situation:
    • I am Filipino living in Portugal, in due time I will be receiving my Portuguese citizenship(which means I will be an EU citizen).
    • The course I will be doing is a foundation year in mechanical engineering.
    • Offered 4 places out of 5 universities (all conditional offers).
    • Firm choice will be in Wales and insurance will be in England.
    My question is how should I apply for student loan since my firm and insurance choice aren't in the same country? And am I eligible to any grants or financial support?

Thanks.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    You can only apply for finance for your firm uni, regardless of whether your firm and insurance are in the same country or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.b9)
    And am I eligible to any grants or financial support?
    Eligibility is based on years of EU residence, not citizenship. You need to have lived in the EU for three full years before the start of your course, in order to get the UK Student Finance Tuition Fee Loan. As long as you meet that criteria, you will get the Tuition Fee Loan but no Maintenance Loan - you will have to cover all your own living costs unless your target unis offer a bursary or svholarship (check their websites).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    You can only apply for finance for your firm uni, regardless of whether your firm and insurance are in the same country or not.
    Thanks for commenting.

So what if for example I did not meet the conditions for my firm choice, will it still be possible to get a student loan in time ? Since I will be getting this years exam results by July

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Eligibility is based on years of EU residence, not citizenship. You need to have lived in the EU for three full years before the start of your course, in order to get the UK Student Finance Tuition Fee Loan. As long as you meet that criteria, you will get the Tuition Fee Loan but no Maintenance Loan - you will have to cover all your own living costs unless your target unis offer a bursary or svholarship (check their websites).
    Thanks for answering.

I have lived in Portugal for 6 years that's why I was able to apply for the citizenship. I always thought that it was based on your nationality and not residence, thanks for clarifying though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.b9)
    Thanks for commenting.

So what if for example I did not meet the conditions for my firm choice, will it still be possible to get a student loan in time ? Since I will be getting this years exam results by July

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The tuition fee loan will be paid direct to your uni - you won't get that money. Unis are aware that many students will be applying for Student Finance late, for a variety of reasons. As long as you can show that you have applied and your application is progressing, unis won't normally start to chase for fees until around the end of the first term. That should give Student Finance time to sort it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    The tuition fee loan will be paid direct to your uni - you won't get that money. Unis are aware that many students will be applying for Student Finance late, for a variety of reasons. As long as you can show that you have applied and your application is progressing, unis won't normally start to chase for fees until around the end of the first term. That should give Student Finance time to sort it out.
    Thanks for all the information.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.