Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I live in Manchester so I decided that I would make Manchester university my priority since it's a good uni and I wouldn't have to move away. Everytime I tell anyone my plans to stay at home however they are met with distaste. Even when I went to an applicant day a few weeks ago, I was talking to one of the lecturers and told her I want to stay at home and she made out like I was being forced by my parents to stay. Staying home in my opinion is the most sensible option, I know If I moved away that I would probably end up dropping out of uni. Am I missing out on something by staying at home?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsrsarah)
    I live in Manchester so I decided that I would make Manchester university my priority since it's a good uni and I wouldn't have to move away. Everytime I tell anyone my plans to stay at home however they are met with distaste. Even when I went to an applicant day a few weeks ago, I was talking to one of the lecturers and told her I want to stay at home and she made out like I was being forced by my parents to stay. Staying home in my opinion is the most sensible option, I know If I moved away that I would probably end up dropping out of uni. Am I missing out on something by staying at home?
    You're making the decision which is right for you, which takes more guts than going along with what everyone else thinks you should do. So many people ignore what they know is best for themselves out of fear of what other people think, and in the end they lose because it's you who has to be happy with your life and choices not those other people. You can still enjoy university and have as much of a social life as you want even while living at home - after all, people manage to have a social life when they're at school and sixth form.

ReputationRep:
    Most people move from home to go to uni, but it doesn't make you "weird" if you choose to stay home if it is the right decision for you.

If you want to live at home then do so, other people's opinions on the matter shouldn't and don't matter.

ReputationRep:
    No I don't think it's weird and neither should you. Like the people above have said it's the right choice for you. I also live at home because.... Well it's a lot easier for me in all honesty.. I work part time so my house is in the middle of the two so they are an even distance apart.

ReputationRep:
    No wouldn't say it's weird what I would recommend however is moving out regardless. I stayed in my hometown but moved out for uni and in my opinion it's the best of both worlds. No homesickness, the opportunity to make new mates whilst keeping your old ones and experience more than you would if you still lived with your parents. I was a bit unsure at first but I'm second year now and honestly wouldn't change it. Just my opinion and some thoughts. Good luck mate.

ReputationRep:
    Not really, I've known a few friends who stayed at home whilst going to uni at Manchester, two lived in Manchester whilst one lived in Blackpool and took the train in every morning. Just do what feels more natural or comfortable to you, as you'll also save money on food and accommodation which is a plus, so you'll have more money to do the recreational activities with your friends. Also, you won't have to deal with other people's horrible living habits and disgustingly dirty kitchens/bathrooms.

ReputationRep:
    If you want peace and quiet, a clean place and aren't bothered about nights out then staying at home, as long as the commute is less than an hour, is the right thing for you. However you do have to make more of an effort to make friends, as you don't have a pre made group of friends from halls, so you have to be prepared to approach people on your own. You may find, depending on the subject you are studying, that you have large gaps in your timetable e.g. a lecture at 1 and then another at 5, so you may spend a lot of time just hanging round campus. If you want to take part in societies then you have to make more of an effort, again as they generally meet in the evening it could mean hanging out on campus all day if you just have lectures in the morning. And if you are having to get the last train or bus home then nights out can be difficult. But obviously if you aren't interested in clubbing then that is irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    If you want peace and quiet, a clean place and aren't bothered about nights out then staying at home, as long as the commute is less than an hour, is the right thing for you. However you do have to make more of an effort to make friends, as you don't have a pre made group of friends from halls, so you have to be prepared to approach people on your own. You may find, depending on the subject you are studying, that you have large gaps in your timetable e.g. a lecture at 1 and then another at 5, so you may spend a lot of time just hanging round campus. If you want to take part in societies then you have to make more of an effort, again as they generally meet in the evening it could mean hanging out on campus all day if you just have lectures in the morning. And if you are having to get the last train or bus home then nights out can be difficult. But obviously if you aren't interested in clubbing then that is irrelevant.
    Meh I think most of thoes factors will have no effect on me anyway since I only live 10 minutes away from the uni

ReputationRep:
    One of my in-laws lived at home in the first year, in a shared student house for her secobd year, then back home for the third year. Both have their advantages. Shared house was a chance to cut loose a bit, but home had catering and laundry facilities, was cheaper and less stressful for studying.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.