Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I was wondering what people might make of this discussion here at U.C.L. from earlier this month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0wy_tvtm1I

To me it seems far too cynical. Why can't people see that schemes like Athena Swan are for the benefit of everybody, including men?

ReputationRep:
    (Thanks T.S.R. for finally approving this thread - didn't think it would get through, as I know it's a controversial subject! )

ReputationRep:
    Cynical? I would say it is spot on. And no, Athena Swan or any of these pseudo-equality movements are not beneficial for both men and women. What happens is that women get special treatment based on gender alone, especially in STEM. Trying to aggressively force equality results in hiring someone for the sake of filling diversity quotas rather than based on merit. I am all for encouraging women to study STEM subjects, but not by pressuring universities and corporations to comply with these moronic "equality" trends. The fact of the matter is that social justice warriors are creating issues out of thin air due to their inability to interpret statistics and/or the factors that might influence them.

Why is there supposed to be a 50/50 representation of both genders? Why is it a problem that women are a minority in STEM but no one bats an eye when males are underrepresented in nursing for example? Why are there so many intellectually dishonest hypocrites who continue to ride this "women are oppressed and/or underrepresented" bandwagon. Women are anything BUT oppressed... Men and women do not make the same choices in life - genders are different on so many levels. And guess what.. It is okay for us to be different. No, this is not because of these imaginary "social constructs" that a particular group of over-zealous equality warriors like to bring up...

Sex-specific toy preferences of children in the PRE-SOCIALIZATION stage: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...rned-or-innate

Something for the poor oppressed women:
    More women are going to university: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35111772
    Women favored 2:1 for STEM hiring: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-jobs-in-stem/

ReputationRep:
    What is Athena Swan doing about the fact that there are 35% more women going to university than men? Women benefit so much from all these schemes of course we don't want to criticize them. The fact is that women make different choices from men because they are different from men and this results in them being under-represented in some areas and over-represented in other. We need to give women credit as agents and who actively shape the world around them. Where we see differences this is a result of the positive choices we make.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.