The Student Room Group

volunteer work for psychology

Hey guys! im in my first year about to finish and looking for some volunteer work! ive been a health care assistant for 4 years now and just wondering if anyone whos on the course or done it got any advice?
thank you!!
Four years as a HCA will stand you in good stead, especially if this is MH HCA work. In terms of voluntary work, it really depends what you want to do after your degree. I'm assuming clinical? If so, there's loads of stuff you can do; helplines, day centres, befriending, volunteering with people who have TBI/ABI or ASD/LDs, ABA tutoring for kids with ASD, holiday clubs, respite work, addiction drop-in centres, homeless shelter. Search on do-it.org and there will be loads and loads of stuff.
Reply 2
How about volunteering for a helpline, something like childline or the samaritans?
Have you thought about volunteering abroad? I studied psychology at uni and did a voluntary psychology placement abroad in Sri Lanka with SLV. I spent my time volunteering in a psychiatric facility as well as teaching children with special and needs and also teaching English in the community. I had a really great time and I definitely got some really relevant hands on experience in mental health which can be a challenge to find in the UK! I'm also studying for my masters at the moment and writing about my experience abroad really helped my application for that :smile:
hospitals can be great. have a good chance with the HCA experience
Reply 5
Original post by Jenx301
How about volunteering for a helpline, something like childline or the samaritans?

Are you still doing your masters? Is it forensic psychology. If so can I ask you a question?

Quick Reply

Latest