Turn on thread page Beta

Personal freedom is over rated watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    Cola and Burgers don't give people obesity, people eating a whole load of **** is what gives people obesity. Religion/ ideologies don't segregate people, people judging and discriminating against other people is what segregates us.
    Fast food is the core of issue. As are religions and ideologies. Both are the root of their respective problems. When you remove a weed, do you remove it by the root, or do you repeatedly clip its leaves?

(Original post by z33)
    Look at it this way, as a world, we have just entered a new phase/ era where we have so much technology, everything at our fingertips, anything we could ask for, anything we need. There's going to be idiots who eat all the food and die, idiots who stay glued at their screens and waste away, idiots who refuse to move on from their backwards ideologies who will die out with the new generation coming on, but that's the thing. It's like too much of a good thing, some people can't handle it. Survival of the fittest right? The ones who don't have control, the ones who don't move with the world, will die out. And we will be left with a society that can function together, and will not be segregated, and will keep moving forward.

It won't be in our lifetime, we were born at an awkward stage. It's like moving on to a new system from an old one, running them parallel until the new one is in full operation and the old one is dropped. We're in parallel mode famz soz
    It's selfish for us to allow people to waste their lives in such a way. We should be looking out for each other, to allow someone to self-destruct because it's "nothing to do with me" is extremely selfish and is symptomatic of a world where everyone is just existing in proximity to each other, rather then living alongside each other.

It's also nieve to think that our generation is somehow different to our forefathers. Every generation feels they're on the edge of a major change, we aren't anything special. Ask your parents and grandparents if you don't believe me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BhagwanNoBhool)
    They aren't mutually exclusive. People would be educated on why this type of state is necessary. The problem with traditional education is, is that people's urges overcome higher reasoning too often.

I said there was no such thing as legitimate power. Power is power. What consent have I given to be ruled by our Government? I don't see how this is any different.

Learning through our mistakes is wasted though. Every generation learns through mistakes, only for that knowledge to be lost as that generation fades and the new one takes power. History keeps repeating itself. The state is larger then any individual, it doesn't forget lessons learnt and has the power to influence everyone.

That individual becoming fat is a drain on all society as well as to himself. It's selfish for him to consume unnecessarily as well as it's selfish for society to allow him to end up in such a state.
    Humans are happiest when passively following the flow with minimal responsibility, they crave direction in some form be it religion or another ideology. Call them slaves if you want, but they're happier this way.

Variation has basically been the cause of every conflict ever, by minimising its effects we can live as peacefully as possible.

North Korea is a different culture formed under different circumstances by different people.

Absolute power.
    The running of the state is the biggest issue with this and it's one I don't have a solid answer to.
    Obviously there would have to be some way to prevent the power hungry from twisting the system for their own gain to avoid a repeat of N.Korea or Pol Pot's Regime.
    I dunno mate.
    Ultimately I think choice is a must generally for happiness... or at least autonomy.
    Educated people can make good choices, and will do so most of the time.
    It's the individuals prerogative to do things which are detrimental to themselves.
    Taking away all autonomy would be terrible. Sort of like an I Robot scenario, or in some religious states whereby they put in place their misguided version of morality.

Also regarding your ignorance is bliss notion. Sure, it is... until there are problems... then you're absolutely powerless to do anything about them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    becauase I have a legitimate claim to own my own body - it's mine, not the government's. so I ought to control what I do with it. what's the opposite of somebody owning themselves? slavery, wasn't it? which principle do you prefer: freedom or slavery? I'm not making a dichotomy between statism and slavery, I'm making a principle contrast between them objectively
    So you think it's acceptable to break the laws of society? Because it's your body and it's yours to control? You have no social responsibility?
    Is a Government wrong to imprison you because it's your body?

This state would merely be an extension of the power that the current government already has over you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BhagwanNoBhool)
    So you think it's acceptable to break the laws of society? Because it's your body and it's yours to control? You have no social responsibility?
    Is a Government wrong to imprison you because it's your body?

This state would merely be an extension of the power that the current government already has over you.
    if I am saying I own my body, and I do, then that doesn't stop the fact that the government can still dominate me and my choices via coercion. it's not about me trying to overthrow the government or evade penalties. if the government imprisons me, it will depend on which laws that I break that will judge its legitimacy - if I am breaking a law as basic and easy to understand as bad like theft, unprovoked violence, property damage, fraud etc then I deserve jail. if I am harming nobody or damaging nobody's property, then I don't deserve prison, except in cases that would undermine democratic or just institutions which is a complicated topic (e.g. if I somehow learned how to vote twice in the same election, etc)

ReputationRep:
    You know who also doesnt like personal freedom?.....Muslims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickLCFC.)
    You know who also doesnt like personal freedom?.....Muslims.
    Religious stereotypes and race baiting wont exist under this new order.
    All other ideologies will be removed for community cohesion.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.