Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Eddie Izzard is self-righteous and intolerable watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Are we actually having a debate over a satirical article???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)
    I don't think it's a contradiction either. I do think it's somewhat petty, though.
    That would depend on your point of view regarding charity and the man himself. The 1980's should have taught us to be weary of this type of thing, although my understading of Sports Relief is it better organised and implemented that Live Aid etc.

Culturally it is also significant. Izzard is yet another self-righteous pseudo liberal with narcissistic tendencies and political ambitions. The more he paints himself as Jesus, Gandhi and Mandela, the more need there is to push back.

I am a little petty though, I just can't deal with egotists and bullies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Are we actually having a debate over a satirical article???
    Satire, when done properly, reports a kind of truth. We are, I think, debating the insufferable nature of charity stunts.

ReputationRep:
    I would though. :perv:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefano865)
    I would though. :perv:
    Hehe. I think he would turn it into a competitive sport, which might not be a bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    it makes sense he reaised a lot of money for charity thats ll that matters..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ikhan94)
    it makes sense he reaised a lot of money for charity thats ll that matters..
    I am sure he could have made the same amount of money without painting himself as a superhero but that aside, I think it also matters when we continue idolise narcissists, particularly those with political ambitions.

It is good news he raised a lot money but, as I mentioned earlier, you can crtiticise the motivations and still celebrate the outcome.

ReputationRep:
    I like him it's Ricky Gervias that is smug and arrogant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indieboohoo1)
    When he starts doing charity stunts and involving himself in politics I shall vent spleen on him too.

ReputationRep:
    I like Eddie Izzard. He's ok by me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indieboohoo1)
    Noooo!
    He's awesome! Did you see his Oscars speech?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damien96)
    Using his celebrity to raise money is a good thing, performing David Blaine stunts to stroke your narcissism is jolly annoying.
    So you recognise that raising money for charity is a good thing. Yet your response to his impressive feat of endurance is to launch a character assassination based on some two-bit pop-psychoanylsis that even an A level psychology student would be embarrassed by. Claiming he paints himself as Jsues? Come on, that's some of the worst and emptiest hyperbole I've heard.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Nope I like him plus he gets up and does things . rasing £1m + is great. I watched the time when he did the thing round Scotland and he came over very well in that.

Disagree with you strongly OP.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Meanwhile, there's a man called Ben doing the 401 challenge where he's doing 401 marathon in as many days and a man called Mark doing 400 marathons in a year, including Lands End to Jon O'Groats and back again. Neither of whom are getting that much press attention.

Probably because neither are celebrities.
    Tbf he's used that to his advanatge and to raise more money. not his fault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    So you recognise that raising money for charity is a good thing. Yet your response to his impressive feat of endurance is to launch a character assassination based on some two-bit pop-psychoanylsis that even an A level psychology student would be embarrassed by. Claiming he paints himself as Jsues? Come on, that's some of the worst and emptiest hyperbole I've heard.
    You accused the OP of empty claims but all you have done there is reel off cliched retorts without any content to back them up. I don't fully agree with the post either, the main thing is he raised money, but he is an insufferable prick. Watch any interview with him, he's well known as being obnoxious.

By the way "The worst and emptiest hyperbole" sounds a bit hyperbolic to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Meanwhile, there's a man called Ben doing the 401 challenge where he's doing 401 marathon in as many days and a man called Mark doing 400 marathons in a year, including Lands End to Jon O'Groats and back again. Neither of whom are getting that much press attention.

Probably because neither are celebrities.
    Didn't you know celebrities are just better than us? Bow down to their superiority and marvel at their profound tweets!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)
    I don't think it's a contradiction either. I do think it's somewhat petty, though.

Don't you think it's a good thing to question the received wisdom of the idolisation that follows these charity events though? I think you have to be impressed by the feat but there is something cringeworthy about it all.

ReputationRep:
    I think this article is not be taken seriously.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of it is the fault of the public.

Unless a challenge is actually a challenge - and bigger / further / harder than previous challenges - it's hard to get people's attention and therefore their money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    A lot of it is the fault of the public.

Unless a challenge is actually a challenge - and bigger / further / harder than previous challenges - it's hard to get people's attention and therefore their money.
    If you are right and they keep uppng the ante it could end very messily

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2016
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.