Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Eddie Izzard is self-righteous and intolerable Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damien96)
    These charity stunts are becoming more and more ridiculous and any money raised seems secondary to self-promotion. Both David Walliams and eddie Izzard and painfully smug and his self-importance is well suited to politics.

Also, running marathons as a "Tribute" to someone locked up for 27 years seems a bit inappropriate.

http://thesatedire.com/news/uk-news/...s-for-charity/

What next? Jason Manford sleeps with 10,000 prostitutes to highlight rape in Iraq and Syria? I think it's telling he chose an 80's cause to tribute, when this kind of "Charidy" was spawned. Thanks Bono and Geldof.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jetboy)
    If you are right and they keep uppng the ante it could end very messily
    I'm surprised they haven't yet.

As much as they're all supervised and trained by extremely knowledgeable people, some of the things they've gotten people to do could quite easily have ended in disaster.

Some point soon we'll be hearing:

"...this year's Sports Relief is dedicated to the memory of Timmy Mallet and Andi Peters, whose tragic deaths on their rocket powered sledge descent of the Matterhorn has cast a shadow over tonight's proceedings. I'm sure their families appreciate your donations in their memories. Next up, Davina McCall and James Corden are, allegedly, funny."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HenryHill)
    Noooo!
    He's awesome! Did you see his Oscars speech?
    No and I don't want to either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jetboy)
    You accused the OP of empty claims but all you have done there is reel off cliched retorts without any content to back them up. I don't fully agree with the post either, the main thing is he raised money, but he is an insufferable prick. Watch any interview with him, he's well known as being obnoxious.

By the way "The worst and emptiest hyperbole" sounds a bit hyperbolic to me.
    Damien96's dupe account by any chance?

Almost identical tone, almost every recent post in response to a thread started by Damien96.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)

Almost identical tone, almost every recent post in response to a thread started by Damien96.
    Eh? I comment on many posts, most of which are those that post a lot. I am sure you could find about 10 others I "Dupe".

Not exactly responding to my point I see. I won't lower myself to accusing you of something to "Win" a debate. You have added nothing to this conversation other than accusations and name calling.

ReputationRep:
    So you recognise that raising money for charity is a good thing. Yet your response to his impressive feat of endurance is to launch a character assassination based on some two-bit pop-psychoanylsis that even an A level psychology student would be embarrassed by. Claiming he paints himself as Jsues? Come on, that's some of the worst and emptiest hyperbole I've heard.
    The impressive feat of endurance only proves he is driven, it says nothing of his motivations.

I am not saying he doesn't care about others, that would be an empty assertion, I am saying he is a narcissist based on a variety of things, including shows he's presented and interviews.

I am also saying celebrity stunts in general have little do with raising money and everything to do with self-promotion.

I'm sorry you seem to have taken this so personally.

ReputationRep:

Yes it's all a massive conspiracy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damien96)
    The impressive feat of endurance only proves he is driven, it says nothing of his motivations.

I am not saying he doesn't care about others, that would be an empty assertion, I am saying he is a narcissist based on a variety of things, including shows he's presented and interviews.

I am also saying celebrity stunts in general have little do with raising money and everything to do with self-promotion.

I'm sorry you seem to have taken this so personally.
    I just see a decent guy doing something good for the world. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

As for taking this personality, I'm not. I'm more bemused than that someone can become so fixated by Izzard's supposed motivations.

ReputationRep:
    I just see a decent guy doing something good for the world. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

As for taking this personality, I'm not. I'm more bemused than that someone can become so fixated by Izzard's supposed motivations.
    Agree to disagree it is then, but when he takes over the world I will await your apology

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.