Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

am i OBLIGED to tell UCAS all my exam results? Watch

ReputationRep:
    ok, long story short:
    I will be taking a local exam in Hong Kong (called DSE) in April 2016 ( YES, NEXT MONTH )
    but I am 100% sure I will fail my compulsory subjects, meaning a NO for local universities
    so I plan to take the A levels in 2017 and apply UCAS

HERE'S THE CATCH 22:
    should I give up my DSE? taking 7 subjects is really a waste of time, so if I started focusing on A levels now it seems more "profitable"
    HOWEVER, some say that students should upload ALL EXAM RESULTS in UCAS, including my DSE
    so if I'm gonna give up my DSE, the UK universities I'm applying to in 2017 will be able to see my crappy DSE results

SO MY QUESTION IS:
    MUST I TELL UCAS MY DSE RESULTS?

before anyone of u asks:
    yes, I could really make a big difference in the DSE results (especially science) if I start up my turbo in the remaining few weeks for revising (but I'm still gonna fail my compulsory subject, i.e. Chinese, but I assume UK Unis wouldn't care)

side note: I took the A levels (including A2) at Form5/Year11 for fun, got AAA in PhysicsChemistryBiology, should I include tell UCAS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rayrayronald)
    ok, long story short:
    I will be taking a local exam in Hong Kong (called DSE) in April 2016 ( YES, NEXT MONTH )
    but I am 100% sure I will fail my compulsory subjects, meaning a NO for local universities

HERE'S THE CATCH 22:
    should I give up my DSE? taking 7 subjects is really a waste of time, so if I started focusing on A levels now it seems more "profitable"
    HOWEVER, some say that students should upload ALL EXAM RESULTS in UCAS, including my DSE
    so if I'm gonna give up my DSE, the UK universities I'm applying to in 2017 will be able to see my crappy DSE results

SO MY QUESTION IS:

before anyone of u asks:
    yes, I could really make a big difference in the DSE results (especially science) if I start up my turbo in the remaining few weeks for revising (but I'm still gonna fail my compulsory subject, i.e. Chinese, but I assume UK Unis wouldn't care)

side note: I took the A levels (including A2) at Form5/Year11 for fun, got AAA in PhysicsChemistryBiology, should I include tell UCAS?
    So you already have A-levels? Why you gotta do them again?

ReputationRep:
    ok, long story short:

HERE'S THE CATCH 22:

SO MY QUESTION IS:

before anyone of u asks:

Yes. The UCAS declaration is very clear and specific. Not to do so is regarded as fraudulent. It is not an empty threat, either. You can have your application withdrawn at any time up to graduation.
    http://help.ucas.com/contract12/index.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KyleH123)
    So you already have A-levels? Why you gotta do them again?
    the results i got weren't enough for me to apply the subject i want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Yes. The UCAS declaration is very clear and specific. Not to do so is regarded as fraudulent. It is not an empty threat, either. You can have your application withdrawn at any time up to graduation.
    http://help.ucas.com/contract12/index.html
    I see, what if I were to opt out from the DSE?
    theoretically I won't get any results, so I won have to report any DSE-related information, right?

ReputationRep:
    I see, what if I were to opt out from the DSE?
    theoretically I won't get any results, so I won have to report any DSE-related information, right?
    It's simple. You declare the exam results for exams you have taken. If you haven't taken exams, you don't declare what you haven't done.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Carnation has given you the on the money answer, read the declaration as that will leave you in no doubt. Ofc if you decide not to include then thats the risk you take.

ReputationRep:
    If you could leave off your bad results people would simply paint the best picture possible for UCAS by only making known their top grades, and that's why they bother telling you to include all your results. It doesn't look good if you're trying to hide something. No university expects everyone to have an absolutely perfect education record, so just include everything and see what offers you get (your existing A level results are, I would think, enough to make universities realise that you have potential).

ReputationRep:
    yeah you have to declare EVERYTHING

ReputationRep:
    the results i got weren't enough for me to apply the subject i want
    three A's at a level wasn't good enough? what course are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys! cleared upthe questions in my mind!

(Original post by KyleH123)
    three A's at a level wasn't good enough? what course are you applying for?
    I'm aiming for cambridge hehe
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    thanks guys! cleared upthe questions in my mind!

I'm aiming for cambridge hehe
    For which course? The typical Cambridge offer is A*AA for arts&humanities or A*A*A for most sciences (and Economics). And post A-Level applicants will often have an A* in excess of that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    For which course? The typical Cambridge offer is A*AA for arts&humanities or A*A*A for most sciences (and Economics). And post A-Level applicants will often have an A* in excess of that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am interested in natural science, but as you said, the requirements are A*AA, but i only got AAA for my A levels :P
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I am interested in natural science, but as you said, the requirements are A*AA, but i only got AAA for my A levels :P
    Natural Science is A*A*A.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Taking A-levels early may mean you can get away with AAA (ring a few Cambridge colleges and ask) although to be honest that combo of subjects will limit what you can take on the course, I'm assuming you will take a biological sciences route which would be fine but you couldn't take some physical sciences options without maths A-level. Check out the course modules on their website
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by fangbandit)
    Taking A-levels early may mean you can get away with AAA
    Source?

Cambridge's view is if someone choses to sit early they will be expected to get as good grades as candidates sitting them at the normal time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I just thought it would be worthwhile asking the university whether they'd take the fact they sat their A-levels 2 years early into consideration, I don't know whether this would influence their decision or not. It might be considered an extenuating circumstance or something?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by fangbandit)
    I just thought it would be worthwhile asking the university whether they'd take the fact they sat their A-levels 2 years early into consideration, I don't know whether this would influence their decision or not. It might be considered an extenuating circumstance or something?
    See my edit above.

Extenuating Circumstances are used when you have been academically disadvantaged by something outside your control. Choosing to do something early is not an EC.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    See my edit above.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah fair enough, I didn't know that. I just thought it would be worth asking the university

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, I actually tried applying to Cambridge, but I was rejected :P
    I tried to get a feedback but I applied after the deadline, not sure if I could receive one.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.