Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am hoping to attend Bath in September and was just wondering what there was to do on the campus and whether people enjoyed living on the campus? Thank you!!!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by bethwills9)
    I am hoping to attend Bath in September and was just wondering what there was to do on the campus and whether people enjoyed living on the campus? Thank you!!!
    I loved living on campus in the cheapest accommodation, it wasn't terrible at all! It's such a luxury as well, you're unlikely to appreciate how wonderful it is to be able to wake up and be in a lecture hall 10-15 minutes later, as opposed to living in the city from the second year onwards

There's plenty of stuff to do on and off campus. On campus, you can go to the SU bar and drink, play snooker, eat, watch rugby/football if it's on, as well as go on nights out as they have events on some days during the week.

There's also a lake that you can sit by if it's warm enough, or even just outside your accommodation. You can go to all of the other bars/eateries/campus shop and just do what you want
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Beth,

I am a current second year student at Bath, and I personally loved living on campus during my first year as I found that the campus environment made the transition to university much easier!

Something that I really like about the campus is that it is fairly small and compact in comparison to other universities, which makes it a very friendly, cosy and safe environment to study in. This gives the campus a real community feel, as you will rarely walk to and from lectures without bumping into a familiar face. The campus has accommodation, a shop, the SU, the sports training village, a theatre, the library, bars, cafes and teaching spaces, making it a really nice and convenient place to live - kind of like a small town. We have fantastic sports facilities on campus, and a 50 metre swimming pool which is free to use for students.

There is also plenty to get involved in through the Student’s Union; whether this be societies, sports or volunteering; which hold many events on campus throughout the year. Additionally, the Student's Union holds club nights every Wednesday and Saturday, and has other events throughout the week such as a weekly pub quiz and a board games night. You can find out more about student life at Bath from our student blogs.

And if you ever get bored of being on campus, Bath city centre is only a 10-15 minute bus ride away (there are 24 hour bus services that run during term time which take you from campus into town, which costs only £1.80 for a return ticket.) The city of Bath is a great place to live, as being a World Heritage site it is very beautiful and picturesque. There are lots of shops, restaurants, and nightlife, and from my experience there is plenty to do in the city! To get an idea you can look at Bath Leap List, a list of the best activities to do in Bath compiled by students!

If you have any other questions please feel free to quote me!

Beth

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both for your replies! Is there any negatives to the campus at all?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Thank you both for your replies! Is there any negatives to the campus at all?
    Hi there!

I'm a first year Computer Science student here at Bath.

I live on campus currently. I love it! That said, of course there are only a couple of negatives I can think of:

1. Sometimes the study spaces near exam time get very overpopulated. That said, the student union are making a big deal about this and policies are being enforced to ensure this does not become a problem as it has in the past.
    2. Some of my friends never seem to leave! You could take this as a positive thing as everything you need to live well is available on campus, but for your own benefit and peace of mind I'd recommend catching the bus into the city every so often and exploring. I find it a great outlet and a break from studying.

I'm sure others on here can think of more. No university is infallible, so it is important to weigh up the pros and cons before making a decision. Personally, despite the negatives, living on campus is a brilliant transition to make when you move out of your parents' house for the first time.

Hope this helps!

Chris

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University Of Bath)
    Hi there!

I'm a first year Computer Science student here at Bath.

I live on campus currently. I love it! That said, of course there are only a couple of negatives I can think of:

1. Sometimes the study spaces near exam time get very overpopulated. That said, the student union are making a big deal about this and policies are being enforced to ensure this does not become a problem as it has in the past.
    2. Some of my friends never seem to leave! You could take this as a positive thing as everything you need to live well is available on campus, but for your own benefit and peace of mind I'd recommend catching the bus into the city every so often and exploring. I find it a great outlet and a break from studying.

I'm sure others on here can think of more. No university is infallible, so it is important to weigh up the pros and cons before making a decision. Personally, despite the negatives, living on campus is a brilliant transition to make when you move out of your parents' house for the first time.

Hope this helps!

Chris
    Thank you so much for this post!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Thank you so much for this post!
    No worries!
    I'm glad you found it helpful.

Feel free to ask me any other questions you have about Bath or life as a student in general.

Chris

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.