Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    be aware of the controversy over the age and
    ultimate fate of the universe associated with the
    value of the Hubble Constant and the possible
    existence of dark matter.
    the above written content is from the IAL specification. can anyone please explain this to me?
    another question is regarding unit 6 phy prep. Any tips on which experiments i should focus on and do i need to know unit 3 content as well?
    Thank you and good luck for the exams
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    (Original post by Ha97)
    be aware of the controversy over the age and
    ultimate fate of the universe associated with the
    value of the Hubble Constant and the possible
    existence of dark matter.
    the above written content is from the IAL specification. can anyone please explain this to me?
    another question is regarding unit 6 phy prep. Any tips on which experiments i should focus on and do i need to know unit 3 content as well?
    Thank you and good luck for the exams
    PM me
    I can explain better there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    PM me
    I can explain better there
    Hi

Can you post here too, I am interested to know

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    (Original post by leavingthecity)
    Hi

Can you post here too, I am interested to know

Thanks
    If you PM me, I can send the PM to both of you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    If you PM me, I can send the PM to both of you
    Why do you need to pm? Isn't the point of posting public threads not only to help the OP but to help others in future who would like the same help?

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    (Original post by Student403)
    Why do you need to pm? Isn't the point of posting public threads not only to help the OP but to help others in future who would like the same help?
    Yes, but PM is the only thing that works really right now

My internet is slow, and the threads are lagging

It would be easier to PM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    Yes, but PM is the only thing that works really right now

My internet is slow, and the threads are lagging

It would be easier to PM
    Not really sure how that works but if you say so..

leavingthecity Ha97 be sure to paste the pm here for the benefit of future users

ReputationRep:

leavingthecity Ha97 be sure to paste the pm here for the benefit of future users
    PM me too

ReputationRep:

will do.
    in the mean time, could you tell me which experiments i need to focus on for unit 6 and if you have a list of experiments we need to know, could u send it to me?
    that would be awesome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ha97)
    will do.
    in the mean time, could you tell me which experiments i need to focus on for unit 6 and if you have a list of experiments we need to know, could u send it to me?
    that would be awesome
    I think I have a list of 18 experiments saved for Edexcel. Remind me tomorrow and I'll post them when I'm back on my laptop

ReputationRep:
    I think I have a list of 18 experiments saved for Edexcel. Remind me tomorrow and I'll post them when I'm back on my laptop
    Awesome, how is the prep going?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ha97)
    Awesome, how is the prep going?
    Very well, thanks for asking. It's a nice set of topics tbh and I'm really enjoying space. How is your prep?

ReputationRep:
    What experiment are you doing for unit 6?

I did something about SHM and a pendulum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    What experiment are you doing for unit 6?

I did something about SHM and a pendulum.
    It's a written paper. No specific one

ReputationRep:
    Hi please don't forget to post them - this would be a great revision tool

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    I might as well post it here while I can

The hubble constant is a measurement of the rate at which galaxies are moving away from us. It is measured in kilometres per second per megaparsec.

It shows that the further away a galaxy is, the faster it is moving away from us. So, if we 'reverse' time, we can tell that the universe had a beginning. We can even calculate when this was (to within a few hundred million years).

The existence of dark matter means that there could be more mass in the universe than we originally thought, so this would be slowing the expansion of the universe. This means that the expansion was quicker in the past, so the universe is actually younger than calculated.

As for the fate of the universe, current calculations show that the universe will keep on expanding forever, although that expansion will slow down. After several trillion years, the rate of expansion will tend to zero, but never actually be zero.

If there is dark matter, this will cause there to be more gravitational attraction between matter, causing it to eventually re-collapse.

I hope this explains it for you

ReputationRep:
    Very well, thanks for asking. It's a nice set of topics tbh and I'm really enjoying space. How is your prep?
    prep is going good. Yeah tbh i liked unit 4 topic more,however, these are not that bad either. Its the terminology, we have to be very specific. did you start revision yet?
    can you please upload the experiments list. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    I might as well post it here while I can

The hubble constant is a measurement of the rate at which galaxies are moving away from us. It is measured in kilometres per second per megaparsec.

It shows that the further away a galaxy is, the faster it is moving away from us. So, if we 'reverse' time, we can tell that the universe had a beginning. We can even calculate when this was (to within a few hundred million years).

The existence of dark matter means that there could be more mass in the universe than we originally thought, so this would be slowing the expansion of the universe. This means that the expansion was quicker in the past, so the universe is actually younger than calculated.

As for the fate of the universe, current calculations show that the universe will keep on expanding forever, although that expansion will slow down. After several trillion years, the rate of expansion will tend to zero, but never actually be zero.

If there is dark matter, this will cause there to be more gravitational attraction between matter, causing it to eventually re-collapse.

I hope this explains it for you
    yes this helps a lot. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    yw

ReputationRep:
    Ha97
    ememoville

http://www.mediafire.com/download/39...al+1-18%29.pdf

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.