Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'd just like some information on them, I'm doing one this September but I have very little knowledge about how they're assessed or what syllabus is used or even if you can get a syllabus online.

I was hoping to spend this summer doing some work in preparation for the course I'm doing but I wouldn't even know where to begin.

I'm doing my access course in humanities so, English Literature, Law and History.

Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Your tutors would be able to answer these questions a lot better than we can, you should have to attend a sort of interview/applicant day prior to starting the course.

They're all assessed differently but they generally include coursework and exams, as you'd see in A-levels.

Access courses are very intense as you're essentially doing 2 years work of A-levels in 1 year.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing an access course. Enjoy your summer you will be fine just rocking up and starting your studies from there. The assessment criteria in your assignments is spelled out in a way that is hard to go wrong. Access courses don't tend to follow a syllabus and from what I've gathered they make the assignment questions up as they go along.

Ours was made up of 60 credits. 45 graded at pass merit or distinction. 15 just pass but still level 3. If you don't hit the unit criteria there is the opportunity to resubmit- however could be capped at a pass.

The assignments range from coursework based essays to presentations and exams. Five assignments per subject.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both for your answers. I found a "syllabus" on my college's website, it's not a syllabus entirely but it vaguely notes down the units that will be studied (i.e. says nothing more than English Literature, Law, History: Modern Britain etc, doesn't actually go into what the units will be about). It sucks because I don't have a lot planned this summer and I hoped I could delve into work to make the year a bit easier. Ah well, thank you both. I'll ask about the units properly when I eventually have an interview, there is a letter on its way with a date.

Are access courses generally quite hard then, if it's the equivalent of two years of A-Levels in one year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karaleigh19)
    Thank you both for your answers. I found a "syllabus" on my college's website, it's not a syllabus entirely but it vaguely notes down the units that will be studied (i.e. says nothing more than English Literature, Law, History: Modern Britain etc, doesn't actually go into what the units will be about). It sucks because I don't have a lot planned this summer and I hoped I could delve into work to make the year a bit easier. Ah well, thank you both. I'll ask about the units properly when I eventually have an interview, there is a letter on its way with a date.

Are access courses generally quite hard then, if it's the equivalent of two years of A-Levels in one year?
    Of course! But people manage it while having other responsibilities so you should be fine if you have no others. Just focus on it and stay on top of the work.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.