• Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    From a good butcher.

ReputationRep:
    Rare! :eating:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    I just can't
    I've always looked at raw beef and wanted to eat it because it looks so juicy :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    I've always looked at raw beef and wanted to eat it because it looks so juicy :lol:
    Do you not get stomach aches?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal World)
    Well really it depends on the cut of the meat you are eating.

If ribeye not below medium, the fat running through it needs to be cooked at least to medium for the full flavour to be appreciated.

If fillet though then rare is the way to go.
    I've been experimenting with ribeye a lot recently.

Name:  12516002_1041506769242317_1882836997_n.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  30.7 KB

Really quick ribeye sandwich I made. Polish Sourdough with a light drizzle of olive oil, lightly grilled. Mayo/musturd mix, sliced sweet pickle and fried shallots.

I get the pan really, really hot (practically smoking) and then when the ribeye hits the pan, the fat renders out really quickly. Okay, I'll admit, it's still slightly chewy from the fat that hasn't melted completely but I just can't eat a medium steak, I can't do it Em.

If you get hold of a fillet and you cook it anything harder than medium rare then we just can't be friends. I agree with you: rare.

ReputationRep:
    Do you not get stomach aches?
    I've not actually eaten it raw :lol: Though I have an Italian-born friend who eats raw minced beef regularly but says it has to be as fresh as possible. I normally have my steak medium-rare or slightly less cooked. I've also eaten raw chicken tikka by accident and was fine though :lol:
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Does it still taste nice. I just cannot...
    I'd throw up at the sight of an uncooked looking steak with blood dripping
    Tastes better

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In a restaurant medium rare, but if I cooking for my self probably pretty rare tbh

ReputationRep:
    So rare it practically still has a heartbeat.

I remember once in South Africa I was talking with a South African who liked his steak well done, had a long debate about this and a Kenyan just piped up, "Hang on... the englishman is saying he likes his meat rare and the south african is saying he likes his steak well done... what parallel universe did I walk into?

ReputationRep:
    I've not actually eaten it raw :lol: Though I have an Italian-born friend who eats raw minced beef regularly but says it has to be as fresh as possible. I normally have my steak medium-rare or slightly less cooked. I've also eaten raw chicken tikka by accident and was fine though :lol:
    You can eat most meats raw (well not raw but rare) But yeah, it has to be extremely fresh. I've had steak from Argentina that was the rawest thing I've ever eaten, it was fried for about 5 seconds a side, seasoned with pink sea salt and pepper and then served. Orgasmic.

ReputationRep:
    bloody as hell

ReputationRep:
    Medium rare ftw!!!

Fillet steak all the way, I hate fat on steak no matter what people say about flavour. And venison steak is just amazing!

The best steaks I've ever had have always been abroad, in Majorca I'm pretty sure pink salt was used but still can't find one with the same amazing flavour.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Nice juicy rump for me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Mine needs to be proper cooked,I wonder how people manage to eat theirs with blood dripping
    It's not actually blood so I'm told, and steak's a fairly safe cut of meat, compared to mince etc which needs to be cooked all of the way through.

I reckon it's probably safe to munch it raw, although probably a little less than desirable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MountKimbie)
    You can eat most meats raw (well not raw but rare) But yeah, it has to be extremely fresh. I've had steak from Argentina that was the rawest thing I've ever eaten, it was fried for about 5 seconds a side, seasoned with pink sea salt and pepper and then served. Orgasmic.
    Yeah, apparently a quick fry of each side kills the bacteria and you're all good Though I've had undercooked liver and it gave me food poisoning, put me off it for life :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I find that you can really bend the rules with most foods without getting an upset stomach. I literally just use my ears and eyes, if something's obviously off chuck it by I often ignore sell by dates with no repercussions. Milk for instance is fine for ages, even when it smells.

ReputationRep:
    Where in Italy is he from? Omg I just can't,even reading about him eating raw meat makes me feel like I want to puke

By accident ? :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)
    It's not actually blood so I'm told, and steak's a fairly safe cut of meat, compared to mince etc which needs to be cooked all of the way through.

I reckon it's probably safe to munch it raw, although probably a little less than desirable
    Mince (supermarket mince) is usually loads of cheap cuts mixed all together. If you make it yourself or get it from a butcher and know the origin of the meat then it will be relatively safe to eat.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, apparently a quick fry of each side kills the bacteria and you're all good Though I've had undercooked liver and it gave me food poisoning, put me off it for life :lol:
    Even citric acid can help? (somebody correct me on this), steak covered in lemon juice etc, tartare

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.