African American Civil Rights coursework help!!1

Watch
badboyblonde69
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm struggling on my A2 history coursework, the question is: To what extent did African Americans assist the struggle for the improvement of their own civil rights in the period 1865-1968? The coursework is due in a couple days and I have only covered 2 of the 4 themes, the other two are how the Supreme Court and U.S Presidents assisted in the struggle. Any suggestions of relevant quotes/ sources on how they may have helped or hindered the movement will be appreciated!! Thank you
rhensis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by badboyblonde69)
I'm struggling on my A2 history coursework, the question is: To what extent did African Americans assist the struggle for the improvement of their own civil rights in the period 1865-1968? The coursework is due in a couple days and I have only covered 2 of the 4 themes, the other two are how the Supreme Court and U.S Presidents assisted in the struggle. Any suggestions of relevant quotes/ sources on how they may have helped or hindered the movement will be appreciated!! Thank you
Look at major pieces of legislation from the Supreme Court (they're all online, start with Brown v Board, it's one of the most famous and a very good case study). Generally, court decisions were important because well, things need to be legalised to be enforced, but additionally no one really listened to many of the pieces of legislation (or just put off doing so for as long as they could).

For my coursework on the same topic, almost all of my info on Presidents came from books about their individual lives. You might be able to find some relevant ones on google books if you search key words. You've left it rather late, though, so you might struggle finding enough/good sources in the time and writing it. As I say, google books is good, and if not try and find online articles from a) reputable magazines or b) from websites with edu or ac addresses. Specific google searches should help you out - use all the key words you can think of in a search. Realistically, no one else can do that for you because it's your essay and it's specific to you, and only you know the information you need.
badboyblonde69
Rep:
?
(Original post by rhensis)
Look at major pieces of legislation from the Supreme Court (they're all online, start with Brown v Board, it's one of the most famous and a very good case study). Generally, court decisions were important because well, things need to be legalised to be enforced, but additionally no one really listened to many of the pieces of legislation (or just put off doing so for as long as they could).

For my coursework on the same topic, almost all of my info on Presidents came from books about their individual lives. You might be able to find some relevant ones on google books if you search key words. You've left it rather late, though, so you might struggle finding enough/good sources in the time and writing it. As I say, google books is good, and if not try and find online articles from a) reputable magazines or b) from websites with edu or ac addresses. Specific google searches should help you out - use all the key words you can think of in a search. Realistically, no one else can do that for you because it's your essay and it's specific to you, and only you know the information you need.
Cheers I've just covered the supreme court now, the Brown V Board was a good shout i found plenty on that but sadly no quotes, could you recommend any good presidents to talk about who either helped or hindered the movement? Thank you so much any help is much appreciated! im new to this website so is there anyway to reward you like a thumbs up or something? Thanks again
rhensis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Cheers I've just covered the supreme court now, the Brown V Board was a good shout i found plenty on that but sadly no quotes, could you recommend any good presidents to talk about who either helped or hindered the movement? Thank you so much any help is much appreciated! im new to this website so is there anyway to reward you like a thumbs up or something? Thanks again
I did mine in quite a different time period (1909-2015), so I did the following presidents: Roosevelt (who set a lot of precedents for the movement & condemned lynching), Eisenhower (he did some good stuff but never spoke out about it), Kennedy (a good one because the image of him helping the movement is very different from the reality) and Johnson (who genuinely wanted to help). I also did Obama because the modern movement was my main focus but clearly he's out of your time period haha! you'll also need to do the late 19th century presidents

(Also - you can give rep with the thumbs up/plus button )
badboyblonde69
Rep:
?
I did mine in quite a different time period (1909-2015), so I did the following presidents: Roosevelt (who set a lot of precedents for the movement & condemned lynching), Eisenhower (he did some good stuff but never spoke out about it), Kennedy (a good one because the image of him helping the movement is very different from the reality) and Johnson (who genuinely wanted to help). I also did Obama because the modern movement was my main focus but clearly he's out of your time period haha! you'll also need to do the late 19th century presidents

(Also - you can give rep with the thumbs up/plus button )
Brilliant thanks so much and Ill make sure to do that I've talked about Roosevelt and Johnson but I'm now looking for presidents that either didn't contribute as much or actually hindered it in some ways, sorry to ask again but do you have any suggestions? Thanks
rhensis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Brilliant thanks so much and Ill make sure to do that I've talked about Roosevelt and Johnson but I'm now looking for presidents that either didn't contribute as much or actually hindered it in some ways, sorry to ask again but do you have any suggestions? Thanks
None of the presidents that I studied particularly hindered the movement, but I would argue Kennedy didn't contribute as much as previously argued by historians. Roosevelt also didn't directly help much, but he was helpful because of the new deal. No president helped as much as other factors did imo - grassroots, organisations, leaders, even the court to an extent, mostly because they knew it would make them un-electable/they wouldn't get it through anyway because of congress. So really I guess it's more of a case of weighing their contributions against those of others!
badboyblonde69
Rep:
?
None of the presidents that I studied particularly hindered the movement, but I would argue Kennedy didn't contribute as much as previously argued by historians. Roosevelt also didn't directly help much, but he was helpful because of the new deal. No president helped as much as other factors did imo - grassroots, organisations, leaders, even the court to an extent, mostly because they knew it would make them un-electable/they wouldn't get it through anyway because of congress. So really I guess it's more of a case of weighing their contributions against those of others!
Thanks a lot! Would you say the same for Eisenhower? It didn't seem like he did much at all to advance the movement at all. Thanks again
rhensis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks a lot! Would you say the same for Eisenhower? It didn't seem like he did much at all to advance the movement at all. Thanks again
Yeah Eisenhower himself was pretty much silent on the whole thing. Important things happened during his time as president but it wasn't really due to him, and he didn't believe that civil rights legislation was a good thing, basically. So you're right on the money in the fact that he didn't really do anything haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.39%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.26%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (120)
37.27%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.66%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.42%

Watched Threads