The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Urgent! Philosophy: BPhil Oxford, MPhil Cambridge

Hello everyone,

Currently, I'm an undergraduate student in philosophy.
I'm studying in KU Leuven, which is a fairly well-ranked university in this subject. Afaik, it is currently 24th for philosophy according to TIMES. Given that this is in continental Europe, this doesn't seem to be too bad.

But I have several lingering questions.

First, I should say that I expect to graduate in around June 2017.
Now, Oxbridge requires to submit applications until January 2017. But I won't be finished with my degree by then. In fact, I won't have much grades to show, at all:

I have transferred from Cologne to Leuven. My credits earned in Cologne have been transformed into an exemption package here in Leuven, which means that my grades received in Cologne won't be part of my degree here.
Thus, I will only be able to show my grades received in the last semester and this one until January 2017.

This is not a lot. Also, although I tend to receive very good grades, my grades last semester haven't been that great. I intent to make up for that during the next semesters. But until January 2017, I will only be able to submit my grades received in this and last semester.

I am sure that others applying have more credentials to distinguish themselves - a finished degree, distinctions, maybe even some research work.
I have none of this, at the moment. But I am still expecting to receive grades for three semesters.

So my main questions are:
1)Is this normal? Meaning, do people submit their applications for the BPhil or MPhil when they haven't finished their degree yet and stil have around 2 semesters to go?
2) Given that I will only be able to submit grades of two semesters until January 2017 (with one semester not being that particularly good), do you think this will be a significant disadvantage for me?
As far as I understand, Oxbridge already decided in January, so submitting my next set of grades (which I'll receive in the beginning of February), would not be possible/make any difference. Is this correct?

It seems as if I have a disadvantage here, which is not really my fault (given the fact that Leuven decided not to take in my grades from Cologne and just grant me an exemption for the credit points.)
One possibility would be to additionally send in my grades for philosophy in Cologne, by requesting a transcript of records from my home university. But I'm not sure if that's possible.

Any sort of advice is highly appreciated!

Thanks a lot,
Lihaerys
Reply 1
And just to clarify: The applications take place on a rolling basis in both cases, right?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Original post by Lihaerys
So my main questions are:
1)Is this normal? Meaning, do people submit their applications for the BPhil or MPhil when they haven't finished their degree yet and stil have around 2 semesters to go?

Yes, I think most people do, so that they can begin the MPhil/BPhil immediately after they graduate.

2) Given that I will only be able to submit grades of two semesters until January 2017 (with one semester not being that particularly good), do you think this will be a significant disadvantage for me?
As far as I understand, Oxbridge already decided in January, so submitting my next set of grades (which I'll receive in the beginning of February), would not be possible/make any difference. Is this correct?

That's true. Some US universities allow you to submit grades you've received after the application deadline for consideration but, as far as I'm aware, Oxford doesn't allow this.

It seems as if I have a disadvantage here, which is not really my fault (given the fact that Leuven decided not to take in my grades from Cologne and just grant me an exemption for the credit points.)
One possibility would be to additionally send in my grades for philosophy in Cologne, by requesting a transcript of records from my home university. But I'm not sure if that's possible.

Applications for the BPhil require that you submit transcripts from all institutions from which you've earned grades. So, you will have to request a transcript from Cologne (this should definitely be possible) and submit it along with your application for a complete application.

Also, I think admissions (at least for the Oxford BPhil) is not on a rolling basis. The only deadline is in early January and results are released early March.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending