Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone studying/has studied geography at university and used an access course to get in?

Just wondering because I'm considering taking one however I was told there's no actual access course for this.

I was wondering what access course you used?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J3zz)
    Is anyone studying/has studied geography at university and used an access course to get in?

Just wondering because I'm considering taking one however I was told there's no actual access course for this.

Thank you!
    I'd say check for entry requirements via UCAS Search tool - they will vary for each university. I can imagine that most would require Access to Humanities or Access to Science.

There's also an Access pathway called Access to Environmental Science - you should check if there is a college in your area offering this pathway as it seems tailored to a Geography degree.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, access to humanities sound like the closest one.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do BSc Geography, you should probably look for an Access course that includes chemistry, but humanities would probably be fine for BA Geography. It's best to get advice from the horse's mouth though: you should email admissions tutors at your target universities for advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J3zz)

Thank you!
    Hey,

I am due to start at queen Mary uni studying Bsc geography.

I'm currently coming to the end of an access to science course, I couldn't find any access course that related to geography so as I wanted to do Bsc I thought science would be most appropriate. I did initially enrol on an earth science course but it was cancelled as I was the only person to enrol.

The science course is challenging, but with a lot of study you will do fine. Most other people on my course are going on to do science or engineering degrees.

I think if you wanted Ba geography, a humanities access course would be more suitable.

Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m_james)
    I'd say check for entry requirements via UCAS Search tool - they will vary for each university. I can imagine that most would require Access to Humanities or Access to Science.

There's also an Access pathway called Access to Environmental Science - you should check if there is a college in your area offering this pathway as it seems tailored to a Geography degree.
    Thank you. I am interested in BSc Geography and found an Earth Science course locally so fingers crossed I get in!

Thank you for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schadenfreude65)
    If you want to do BSc Geography, you should probably look for an Access course that includes chemistry, but humanities would probably be fine for BA Geography. It's best to get advice from the horse's mouth though: you should email admissions tutors at your target universities for advice.
    Thank you. I am interested in BSc Geography and found an Earth Science course locally so fingers crossed I get in!Thank you for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamiejay)
    Yeh, access to humanities sound like the closest one.
    Thank you. I am interested in BSc Geography and found an Earth Science course locally so fingers crossed I get in!Thank you for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielcb12)
    Hey,

I am due to start at queen Mary uni studying Bsc geography.

I'm currently coming to the end of an access to science course, I couldn't find any access course that related to geography so as I wanted to do Bsc I thought science would be most appropriate. I did initially enrol on an earth science course but it was cancelled as I was the only person to enrol.

The science course is challenging, but with a lot of study you will do fine. Most other people on my course are going on to do science or engineering degrees.

I think if you wanted Ba geography, a humanities access course would be more suitable.

Good luck!!
    Congratulations on getting into university!
    Thank you. I am interested in BSc Geography and found an Earth Science course locally so fingers crossed I get in (hopefully they don't cancel the course!). If I do not get in or if it does get cancelled I will definitely go down the science access route.Thank you for your help!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.