Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    "Christians do enough for the environment" Do you agree?
    Give reasons why people may disagree with you
    3 marks for agreeing 3 marks for disagree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeedsHelpalot)
    Hmm, general knowledge? :hmmmm:

If you are asking for an answer under the Religious Studies GCSE I may be able to help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by undercxver)
    Hmm, general knowledge? :hmmmm:

If you are asking for an answer under the Religious Studies GCSE I may be able to help?
    Hahaha lol i am i guess the title was deceptive

ReputationRep:
    A at GCSE R.S. and i have no idea.

ReputationRep:
    Don't really see a correlation between religion and how much a person can do for the environment...

ReputationRep:
    Isn't there a quote in the Bible to do with having dominion over animals? You could argue that this implies humans can do what ever they want with animals without being responsible for the consequences. Obviously this will be bad for the environment when taken to the extreme.

You could probably work "love thy neighbour" in somewhere as well :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by w0007)
    Don't really see a correlation between religion and how much a person can do for the environment...
    Thats my point but i need to know to pass my gcse hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    Isn't there a quote in the Bible to do with having dominion over animals? You could argue that this implies humans can do what ever they want with animals without being responsible for the consequences. Obviously this will be bad for the environment when taken to the extreme.

You could probably work "love thy neighbour" in somewhere as well :lol:
    i need 6 points got 4 more for me?

ReputationRep:
    i need 6 points got 4 more for me?
    Don't you get like one point for stating and another for explaining? I don't think you need six actual quotes in a question. I can't think of anymore at the moment m8

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha lol i am i guess the title was deceptive
    Ah. :laugh:

Alrighty.

"Christians do enough for the environment"
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Not too sure on this, I read it like "Christians should do enough for the environment"
    For:
    • Stewardship: Every Christian is a Steward, in other words they have a responsibility. One of the main principles of Stewardship is to look after God's creation.
    • "The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it." Therefore they should look after the enviroment.
    • The Earth is a gift from God hence should look after it.
    Against:
    • A quote from the Bible "The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it, the world and all who live in it." This means it is up to Christians to how they look after the enviroment.
    • Another quote from the Bible "Let them rule over the fish of the sea, the birds of the air, over livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground".
    • Earth is a gift from God so you do whatever you like.
    Conclude saying your opinion on if Christians should look after the enviroment.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:

Alrighty.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Not too sure on this, I read it like "Christians should do enough for the environment"
    For:
    • Stewardship: Every Christian is a Steward, in other words they have a responsibility. One of the main principles of Stewardship is to look after God's creation.
    • "The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it." Therefore they should look after the enviroment.
    Against:
    • A quote from the Bible "The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it, the world and all who live in it." This means it is up to Christians to how they look after the enviroment.
    • Another quote from the Bible "Let them rule over the fish of the sea, the birds of the air, over livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground".

Hope this helps.
    Damn... Are you a Christian or something?

ReputationRep:

Alrighty.

Spoiler:
    Show
    For:
    Against:

Hope this helps.
    Lol omg this answer slayed ty ty ty probs wont fail R.E now cuz of your bomb ass answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BWV1007)
    Damn... Are you a Christian or something?
    Nope. I'm Muslim.

Lol omg this answer slayed ty ty ty probs wont fail R.E now cuz of your bomb ass answer
    No problem! Feel free to ask me any questions you might have for Religious Studies GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    I'm treating this as a 3 mark question. This is just a possible answer; it's not necessarily my own opinion.

I agree that Christians do enough for the environment because many Christians recycle every day, which reduces the release of greenhouse gases, reducing the contribution to global warming.
    Some may disagree with me because many Christians can't be bothered to recycle as it may seem like a waste of time. Therefore, people should be more caring and responsible. Another argument may be that many Christians aren't even aware of the problems being faced by the planet, such as climate change and species endangerment.

I hope this helps. I'm quite unsure about it myself.

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused.
    Didn't you want to know whether or not Christians are looking after the environment properly, rather than whether they should look after it or not?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    What an interesting answer undercxver. I was a bit bemused how they linked environmentalism and christianity, but i guess it makes sense to use the bible,

I thought it would have veen more along the lines of Christians in the rela world and what they do for the real environment.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Just4Now)
    I'm confused.
    Didn't you want to know whether or not Christians are looking after the environment properly, rather than whether they should look after it or not?
    Thats was my thought, just because the bible says xyz doesnt mean people follow it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Thats was my thought, just because the bible says xyz doesnt mean people follow it.
    I agree. So, what do you think should be in the answer?

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused.Didn't you want to know whether or not Christians are looking after the environment properly, rather than whether they should look after it or not?
    I'm guessing you didn't see the spoiler in my reply to the OP's question. Also, in a GCSE Religious Studies question like this you have to answer in the format of three reasons for and 3 against with a conclusion.
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    What an interesting answer undercxver. I was a bit bemused how they linked environmentalism and christianity, but i guess it makes sense to use the bible,I thought it would have veen more along the lines of Christians in the rela world and what they do for the real environment.
    Quotes form the Bible can be interpreted in various ways, which is why some Christians may oppose other Christian views. I'm not saying these interpretations are right or wrong, it's just what many Christians believe.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I agree. So, what do you think should be in the answer?
    Its a long ime ago since I did this subject and the syllabus has completely changed. Id have talked about christian organisations like charities and talked about what they did to encourage people to farm properly, promote self sustaing projects , birth control etc

the anty stuff is easy becayse you point at waste and how even though the bible says things doesnt mean they stick to it.

however undercoverx appraoch is correct and it will be familiar with the OP as thats what they teach. Its a the bible teaches about the environment so lets assume christians follow this..... which is a hard sell.

OP
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...shiprev1.shtml

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.